Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Saga continues


Animals are so very much smarter than a lot of people give the credit for. Guess that's why I worry about those that are abused and neglected.

As long as I have been around chickens I have never known a rooster to literally take a baby chick under it's wing like a mother hen. Popeye had done just that.



All day I have worried about and constantly checked on little Sweet Pea, and every time I looked in on them, Popeye was hovering over Sweet Pea, scratching for food and calling him. 

Night time has been my biggest worry. Popeye sleeps on a roosts about five feet off the ground in the bantam's lot. Sweet Pea had been sleeping under Olive's wing in a nest box low to the ground. Where would Sweet Pea sleep tonight?



Right at the edge of dark Poppy and I went out to close the chicken house door and check on everything. There was Popeye waiting in that raggedy old box that is nailed high up on the wall inside the lot. The same old box where Sweet Pea was hatched. I guess he figured he and Sweet Pea would be safe there, but Sweet Pea could not get up that high. I lifted Sweet Pea up and he snuggled right up under Popeye's wing. I'm telling you, I've been on the verge of tears all day over this baby.

We are now wondering if it could have been a rat that killed Olive during the night. A snake for sure would have eaten the baby chick. Maybe we will know tomorrow. Poppy set a rat trap inside the chicken lot after the chickens were all safely in their house for the night.

Okay, thanks again for listening.

Love,
Henny


21 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so sweet.

    I love the term that you used for twilight: "at the edge of dark". I've never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Victoria. That's another term mama always used. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, no! I had to go back and see what happened to Mama. How sad for all of you. But how wonderful that Papa is stepping up to being a nurturing parent. That is just the sweetest thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that papa is taking care of the baby.

      Delete
  3. That is the sweetest picture!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you lost a hen. I have to admit that is unusual. I've read elsewhere that chickens often kill chicks, so it is good that your rooster is watching out for it.
    Hope all goes well. Thank you for the add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for visiting my blog. I have had big chickens kill chicks.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes males do step up to the plate and take their turn. This is so wonderful.

    Thanks for stopping by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew the males would do that. I'm sure glad they do.

      Delete
  6. When I was a kid we had a little bantam rooster that took over the mothering of two chicks. Animals are amazing aren't they?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are amazing. I surely did not know roosters would do that. Little Popeye is acting just like a little mama.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure if my comments are going through, they seem to be getting lost ....
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was saddened to read that little Olive is no longer with you, she was such a sweet mother.
    Popeye appears to be a good dad, lets hope little Sweet Pea will stick close by his side.
    I bet there wasn't much sleep at your place last night ;(
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me very sad. I did think about that baby during the night, hoping it stayed with Popeye. They were still together this morning.

      Delete
  9. Oh no that is so sad! I hope if it is a rat that y'all kill it quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't catch anything last night. Poppy has set the trap again tonight. We'll see. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.