Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Just rambling

There is a small thrift store I enjoy going in whenever I am in Henderson and since I was in Henderson picking up a prescription Saturday, I stopped by. I spent less than four dollars and came home with two good tee shirts, three pairs of socks, and these...



These eleven squares cost me eighty cents. Not bad. Oh, you know what would be pretty? An old fashioned looking quilt.  Yeah right! I really need to start cutting up stuff to make a quilt! As mama used to say, "there's not room to lay a pin down now". Everywhere I look in this house there is a pile something waiting to be mended or washed or ironed or put away or hauled off or emptied or picked or canned. A quilt would be mighty pretty made out of these squares. October seems like a good time to start on this.

You know my clothesline broke a few days ago. Poppy put it up again by wrapping it around two trees. It sags a little but serves the purpose.  I drug up the perfect old board to lift the sagging line and keep the sheets from hanging too close to the ground. Old folks used to do that your know...use an old board to lift the clothesline...




By the way, the little red house is growing on me. The color is looking more and more like redwood and that's a good thing...






Better get going. It's a job around here at bedtime getting Bickett set up in the laundry room for the night, and Weetie in the front porch swing. Eli has his new waterbed and fan and ten dollar bone on the porch for the night. Once all these are situated, Dumperoo comes out from under the sewing room bed to eat, drink , and roam through the house all night.

Thank you for stopping by.

Love,
Henny

18 comments:

  1. We call those old pieces of wood that hold up the clothes line, a 'prop'. My mum uses hers every time she hangs the clothes on the line, they usually have a little "v" cut out in the end to hold the clothes line in place.
    I think your red house is smashing :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A prop! Now I remember. I knew there was a name for this. The board I found was part of an old door. It has two wooden pegs coming out from the side. :) Thank you Jo.

      Delete
  2. Your posts are always so much fun! Bedtime is quite a process around your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Poppy says it should not be this much trouble, that I have the animals spoiled.

      Delete
  3. A quilt or curtains...what a great buy! Wish I had a clothesline. Eli has a waterbed..good for him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ordered the largest bed we could find. It does have some kind of coils inside and holds seven gallons of water. Eli likes it.

      Delete
  4. I love your little seed packet squares and I like Far Side's idea of curtains. Whatever you make, it will be cute.
    Someday you must tell us the story of how Dumperoo got his name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curtains would be cute. I know, "Dumperoo"! What a name. I will have to tell the story of Dumperoo. :)

      Delete
  5. Pictures! I need pictures! I know what Eli looks like (ridiculously adorable even if he's no longer a puppy), and I remember Bickett, but how about a shot of Dumperoo?
    The seed packets would also work as the front of an apron. And what a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumperoo is a strange cat. Those squares would make a really cute apron!

      Delete
  6. I think the squares would make a great tablecloth (quicker than a quilt!!).
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tablecloth! Gosh! I wish I had more squares. All these great ideas.

      Delete
  7. Hey Henny! Good morning, good idea about the quilt for a October start. Would be beautiful with some maybe flowers for edging or something? Being a flower child myself! Your life soundsideal for me, when can I start? I love the stories about all the critters and I bet they all want their own spaces,of course! How is Sweet Pea by the way, is she okay? Got to keep up with life on your farm! XOXO Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terry! Just this morning I asked Poppy if he would like to sell all this mess and move into an apartment. He said it's tempting! I would go crazy shut up in an apartment. Sweet Pea is fine. I need to post a new picture. I will try to do that today and boy do I have a snake story to tell. Love you Terry! Henny

      Delete
  8. I love the squares!! That would make a beautiful quilt or a wall hanging guilt. I love how you and Lynn fine the best things at thrift stores I would love to go shopping with you two. I would love to have a craft room. That would be so wonderful. I am hoping to get a building this summer to at least clean out my closets.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go to thrift stores as much as I used to. Eli has me tied down now. :) I wish the three of us could spend a day shopping together too. We should try to plan a day. Love you too

      Delete
  9. I love to hear about your thrift store purchases:) You got some good deals, for sure! Not sure the size of those squares, but what I would do with them is sew one or two or four, depending on the size, on the side of a shopping bag made out of a heavy natural cotton fabric.
    My clothesline, that has a broken pole, is still being held up by a rope tied from the pole to a tree:) In England I remember having a pole with the vee cut in the top to hold up the clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good idea. Those shopping bags would probably sell good at a craft show. How wonderful that you lived in England. I've always dreamed of living in England.

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.