Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Another snake!

Some mornings it just doesn't pay to get out of the bed. Here it is 9:30 a.m. and I have already had to bury my little Olive. That's right. Sweet Pea's mama. 

I had put Eli in the goat's lot to play when I heard a loud chirping sound. The cry a chick makes when it's lost from it's mother. I thought maybe Sweet Pea had gotten out of the pen so I went to check. There was little Olive lying on the ground dead. Probably another snake. I don't understand why the snake didn't eat Sweet Pea. I feel like crying. Popeye seems to be caring for Sweet Pea and I'm keeping a close watch for that snake to come back! 

Looks like Popeye is saying...

"Boy, I'll do the best I can"...



"Okay"...




"You sure mama's not over here?"


I need to correct something from my snake story yesterday. Poppy said, Mel, that was not a "big" snake that had the duck. Actually, it was a small snake, to be fighting with a large duck. All snakes seem big to me! We have had snakes kill our hens before. A snake will smother a chicken by putting it's mouth over the chicken's head. I don't understand why because a snake can't swallow something as big as a chicken. Not a rat snake anyway.

Thank you for listening again. Like they say around here..."if it ain't one thing, it's another!" Hope to be back soon...

Love,
Henny


7 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry that you lost sweet Olive. Keeping chickens is a hard deal. I know when I was little and daddy had chicken with biddies there was always something trying to kill them. I hope that nothing else gets any thing else.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so sad about little Olive! You have been so good to your animals, and those nasty snakes are making it tough right now. I hope Sweet Pea is going to be safe with the bigger chickens to help out. This story reminds me of Bambi, and I would never let my Mom read the sad part once I understood what happened to his mother. But it all worked out in the end, and the stag was a hero. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate snakes...nothing better than a dead one. Poor Olive...maybe it is time for Eli to do guard duty:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horrible! Poor chickie, I hope the others take him in and watch over him. Chickens have a tough life. Everything wants to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm rapidly going off snakes.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. Those snakes are hungry and brave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read today's post before this one. We've had rats, but they just get in and eat the feed, have never killed a chicken. Glad to read about Popeye taking over though!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.