Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Tears, tears, and more tears

Dear friends,

Things can always be worse. I am truly thankful for all that we have. However! I am at my wit's end.  The dictionary says the meaning of "my wit's end" is "the natural ability to perceive and understand" and folks that's it, that hit the nail on the head! I don't understand any more!



I'll back up a few days to explain.  Remember the excitement of the little Bantam Hen Olive hatching the one egg...and we named her baby Sweet Pea, and the proud little papa, Popeye.

This tragedy began unfolding last Tuesday morning when I found Olive lying on the ground dead. Then Popeye took over the raising of Sweet Pea, literally taking the baby chick under his wing. For two nights Popeye flew up into the raggedy old nest and waited while I lifted Sweet Pea up to him and the two of them snuggled up together for the night.



Early yesterday morning I found Sweet Pea dead on the ground. Sadly, I buried the baby next to his mama, Olive. 

Last night at the edge of dark Poppy and I both, at different times, checked on Popeye. He was alone in the pen now.  We found him safe, back in his usual spot on the roost which is about five feet off the ground. Here's the kicker...this morning I found little Popeye on the ground dead. 

But wait...the day gets worse.  On the verge of tears, my day ruined, another little grave to dig and I hear this loud pitiful crying of a tiny kitten.  I yelled for Poppy. We begin looking and found the kitten between two large tree roots in our front yard. Poppy picked it up. It was tiny and looked to be about five weeks old. One of the kitten's eyes was completely closed and the other eye half closed and filled with mucus. I got a warm wet cloth and wiped the kitten eyes then put him in a box. All I had to give him was a little half and half, which probably wasn't the best thing for him.

Friends, the last time I cried, really cried, was when my Mother died. I wept today. I could not control the tears. I cried over everything that's happened this week  and cried about things that happened weeks ago, and I cried about things that might happen tomorrow.

When finally I had cried about everything worth crying about, I pulled myself together. We had to find  a home for this kitten. A big part of my tears were shed because Poppy said that we absolutely could not keep this kitten..and this kitten needed me so badly! 

There's a couple living down the path, probably a mile or so from our place. Just recently they stopped to tell me they had lost their beloved cat who was twenty years old. They were planning to adopt another cat, one that needs a home. So Poppy took the kitten and down the path he drove to their place...all it took was one look. Thank goodness there are still some kind good-hearted people in this world. The kitten now has a home with Kristine and Robert. They plan to take the baby to Petsmart tomorrow to see the vet.

We have since learned from another neighbor that last Thursday someone dumped a mama cat with young kittens out on our road. By the time he and his wife saw the kittens they were scattered. They caught and kept one kitten, the mother cat disappeared and they found another kitten dead. We will never know how one survived and made it to our yard. 

Part of the tears that I cried today were for all the abused, mistreated, and unloved animals out there. How could anybody in this world drop a mother cat with her tiny, innocent, watery-eyed baby kittens out on a dirt road to suffer and die. All I can do is hope that, as my sister Shelby says, people who do these things get what they deserve one day.

As for Popeye's little family...we are trying desperately to find out what killed them. Poppy has set a trap for a weasel and also a rat trap. It is strange that Popeye and Olive have lived in the lot for nearly two years with nothing bothering them. Then Sweet Pea comes along and within a week's time they are all dead. I have wondered about the feed, the medicated chick starter feed that I bought for Sweet Pea. I plan to call the company tomorrow and ask it there have been any complaints or problems with it. Things like this happen.

Thank you for listening again. Gosh, what a week!

Love,
Henny 




19 comments:

  1. You truly brought a tear to my eye. If only the story of Popeye and Sweet Pea could have had the happy-ever-after ending it deserved.
    I'm continually touched by the inherent kindness of animals and disgusted by the inhumanity of man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the story could have had a happy ending too. Your words are so perfect speaking of the kindness of animals and the inhumanity of man. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Henny, I'm so sad for you. They were such sweet chickens and it's horrible that died. Bless your neighbors for their kind hearts in taking in the little kitten. Sometimes you just have to cry for all the sadness in the world until you feel betters.
    Hugs,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true...it's like once the tears come you just cry over all the sadness. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Dear Henny, I feel your pain, and can only offer support in the way us animal-lovers support each other, when tragedies strike.
    I worked in the veterinary field for 36 years, and I never felt complacent when an animal passed.
    I'm sorry you were not able to keep the little kitten, at least until it had grown stronger, but I've been in your shoes in a situation like that also, and sometimes we just have to keep the peace.
    I'm hoping your neighbors can give the kitten a forever home, and you get some closure to your horrific week.
    Hugs friend,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet letter. With your work for 36 years I'm sure you have many many heartbreaking stories. I know what you mean about keeping the peace. My husband is not a cat lover, but he actually rescued one of our cats from the trash dump. I really wanted that kitten.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I mourn for you at the loss of your little feathered family. I wonder at the cause. I hope you find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope so too and will post what happened, if we ever really know.

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm so sorry...that's a lot to deal with all at once.You have done the best you can for the kitten,he's safe,he's loved...and you are responsible for that happening.Thank you.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jane, I know what a tender heart you have when it comes to kitty cats. I really really wanted to take care of and keep that pitiful little kitten. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry, I know you loved them so! Sometimes the flood gates just open and the tears fall and fall. Sending you a hug....I am glad the kitten found a home..even if it wasn't with you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. Just cry until there are no more tears and be done with it. Thank you for the hug!

      Delete
  7. Dear Henny, I am sorry that these sweet chickens are no more, and they seemed to be as safe as you could make them. You will most likely find out what the problem is, but it sure seems like a mystery. The little kitten was lucky that you found it, and the neighbors can nurse it to maturity. I will keep good thoughts for all your animals, and sure do understand your very tearful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Pam. It is a mystery. Dan set the traps last night caught nothing. I think we all have days where nothing but a good cry will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Henny I am so sorry you lost all of your sweet chicken family. This post made me cry. I hope that you find out what happen to them.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Henny dear, I am behind but I want to tell you how sad I am for you.. I know you loved the little bantam family, but at least they are all together now. Sounds like a weasel doesnt it or raccoon? I hope you find the varmint and maybe some day get another little bantam family. At least they got to be together, let me know about that medicated chicken feed - i have heard if it gets wet it might cause trouble,..but death? Well I love you Henny and you are in my thoughts today! Terry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how sad for the little bantam family:( I am wondering, was there ever any sign of a wound or injury on any of the birds? It is very very weird, that they all died, one after the other like that. I hope this works. It should be a link to a page that gives you clues as to what predator killed your birds. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wI-kNzHBN1E/S25E8Qpx8lI/AAAAAAAAAGA/Kg9vHnraUrg/s1600/001+-+Copy+(2).jpg ((((Hugs to you))))
    I have never used the medicated chick scratch for free ranging birds.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.