Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

The latest duck news

More sad news from here at Henny Penny Lane. Nellie, the brave little duck who fought with the Rat Snake a week or so ago. She was not so lucky the next time. Nellie is the darker duck...


When I realized it had been a few days since Nellie had come out from under the shed to eat, I immediately got a bad feeling. To see under this shed I have to practically lay down on the ground with a spotlight...very close quarters here, and low to the ground. It didn't look good. There was no movement only feathers and I didn't see Nellie's sweet little face looking back at me. When Poppy got home he pulled her body and empty torn up nest from under the shed. Sure wish we had caught the snake that did this.

What a summer this has been. If this pace keeps up we soon won't have any animals. Immediately added to my list of things to do...block in bottom of shed. No more ducks under this shed!

On to something else...Poppy and I just could not look at that orangy-colored trim on the back screened-in porch any longer so we painted it dark walnut to match the newly painted windows...


Before...

After...

 Reckon we will ever get things like we want them around here? Trouble with painting is...a newly painted surface makes everything around look old and in need of paint too. The more we do the more we see that needs doing!

Someone asked recently how Dumperoo got his name. Well, one morning Poppy carried a load of trash to the nearest solid waste convenience center. He pulled his truck up to the dumpster, opened the door and as he started to get out heard this tiny little meow. He looked down and this Grey Tabby kitten looked up at poppy and meowed again. Who could resist? Not even Poppy, who is not a cat lover. Poppy named him "Dumpster Kimball", but we call him  Woo Woo or Dumperoo.

Are you talking about me...





Funny how you can sit down at the computer for just a minute and all of a sudden two hours have passed.  Better get busy again. Thanks for visiting.

Love,
Henny 




20 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Nellie. Does it help at all to know that people across the country (and the world, for that matter) are thinking of her/
    Dumperoo is a real cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the lost of another animal on the farm. I love the new paint on your house. We have so many things that need to be done it is not even funny.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. It is always something needing to be done. I am supposedly retired...and never worked as hard in my life! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh bugger.
    I'm so sad to read another of your animals have succumbed to a snake, is it because you have a pond, or do they live in your quiet woods ?
    Love your cat, he looks quite at home in your bed, he knows he is a lucky boy.
    I like the darker trim, with the new paint color, blends perfectly.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't know why all of a sudden something is killing our ducks and chickens. We have been here since 1989 and never lost animals until last year. Could be that we don't two or three big Labs in the yard. That's probably it.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the loss of your duck. You have really had a run of bad luck with your animals and I hope this is the end of it. I think Mr Dumperoo is looking quite happy snuggled in bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope so too. Every time I lay a piece of fabric on the bed Dumper thinks it is for him.

      Delete
  5. Darn...sorry to hear about Nellie...darn ssssnakes anyway. He just kills and doesn't eat...sounds like Poppy needs to go snake hunting. Your Dumperoo is pretty cute and lucky too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that.I hate to say it but I am ready for fall and cool weather. That will get rid of snakes and ticks.

      Delete
  6. How frustrating about the snake, I'm so sorry for Nellie...and you! Hope it is nothing but good news for the next little while. Owning a home and property is a never ending job, you should see the list I've got stuck to the fridge, and that's just what needs doing this week, and this week is just about done for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. It is never ending. And I thought the work load would get lighter as I got older. I love to keep busy though.

      Delete
  7. Aw. :-( *hugs*
    Ha. Hubby and I joke that we will never run out of things to do, either. Unless we win the lottery.
    God bless. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Oh, I don't think we will ever run out either! We talk about what we would do IF we ever win the lottery. I can't ever remember to buy a ticket so there is not much of a chance for me to win. :)

      Delete
  8. Could the murder suspect be a weasel..we have them here and they are the only wildlife that I'm afraid of.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have never seen a weasel but it is possible. We set a trap after Popeye was killed but have not caught anything. Are you seriously afraid of a weasel? I looked on line and weasels are vicious looking little animals and can kill a large rabbit. Would they attack a person? That's scary. Thanks Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One got into the house once,two cats cornered it, I was terrified that they would get ripped to pieces.
      Jane x

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine! I would have been terrified too. We do need to keep that trap set.

      Delete
  10. Mama, I am so sorry about Nellie. Poor thing. I think your cabin is beautiful! Everything looks so good!! Love you! Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.