Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

New babies and kitty cats

Been another one of those days and I am worn out! Poppy is asleep in front of the television. I was working on dolls for the craft show next Saturday but thought hey, I better take advantage of the free computer. So here I am. Now what to talk about?

Remember last October when a Guinea hen surprised me by wandering up in the yard with five new born babies? I raised those baby guineas. Cared for them all through the cold winter months...



Well today, pulling into the driveway around noon after a trip to the grocery store, there was our missing white female guinea with sixteen newly hatched baby guineas. Panic big time! Guinea hens cannot raise their babies on their own and especially not in cold weather. I piled the groceries in the kitchen, put the cold stuff in the refrigerator and spent the next three hours trying to catch that mother guinea and sixteen babies. Twice I let the mother slip out of my hands and twice all the babies got away. Let me tell you, this was a job! A job! But tonight the mama and her babies are snuggled safely in the old dog lot with warm hay, a heat lamp, food, and water. Tomorrow, hopefully, there will be baby pictures to show you.

For now I need to say goodnight, thank you for visiting, and close with some kitty cat pictures...







Dumperoo says he is tired too...



Love,
Henny

16 comments:

  1. I just love your blog and today's pics are the best! You are such a good soul for taking care of your little hens plus everything else. Can't wait to see the pictures of them too! Bless your heart for keeping them snug and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Diane, thank you! I do love caring for little animals.

      Delete
  2. How on earth did you catch sixteen babies? That would have made a good video. :)) Your little Smokey makes me think of Audrey as a kitten. She looked just like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was beginning to think I couldn't! I sure hope little Smokey looks like Audrey. She is so special!

      Delete
  3. 16 babies...oh I hope they all make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you, I have this image of you chasing 16 chicks around. Looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how funny I must have looked! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  5. Catching 16 babies and one mama guinea -- no wonder you are tired! Can't wait to see the pictures (after you are rested!). Smokey looks to be enjoying life at Henny Penny Lane. And good to see he knows how to back down a tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rare to catch one guinea! I honestly don't know how I did it! Smokey is a climber. :)

      Delete
  6. Ah, bless them..and bless you for rounding 'em up and keeping them safe!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man you are going to be busy helping this mama. I am glad that you got them all caught and put up safely.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a job, and all through the cold winter! Oh well, I need something to enjoy! :) Love you too!

      Delete
  8. It seems there's always something going on there in your world!!
    And it looks like fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Grief! Just what you needed to fill up all your vacant hours during the day! Will you keep all the babies once they are up a bit bigger or maybe you have enough already and will have to find homes for at least some of these. But of course you did have to take them in to shelter----it would be awful to just leave them out there. Oh my what a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.