Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

My Halloween Story

Halloween...


It has been a scary morning around here. Very early, before the light of day, I heard what I thought was the eerie cry of a screech owl in the distance. Thinking of the guineas, I quietly opened the back door. As I stepped out into the darkness a soft movement of white disappeared into the woods. Surely this was my imagination I thought, as I turned to go back into the safety of the house. That's when I noticed the old rocking chair moving slowly, back and forth...

Never a Halloween passes that I don't remember my scariest Halloween ever. Scary enough that I want to re-post my story so that I can share and re-live that frightful night...



Back in the late 1980's when Poppy and I first moved out here, we were deep in the woods.   Only one neighbor lived down our dirt path, a quarter of a mile from us.  The dirt path was narrow then, room for only one car.  Nights out here were dark, very dark.  Poppy and I both worked a 45 minute drive away, and in opposite directions.  In the wintertime it was  dark at 5:00 p.m.  Poppy's drive home from work was quicker than my drive home; his drive home was through the country.  I worked in downtown Raleigh and was in bumper to bumper traffic for quite a ways.

It was Halloween night and between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. as I arrived home and pulled into our driveway.  Immediately I thought to myself, why is it so dark out here tonight.  We normally left the light over the kitchen sink burning...the kitchen window was dark.  I stopped the car and sat there, wondering if it was safe to get out and go in the house.  My eyes adjusted somewhat to the darkness.  I was looking around...for what, I don't know...perhaps trying to convince myself that everything was okay and safe.  That's when I spotted what appeared to be a man standing behind a large oak tree near the driveway.  It was a man! He was holding an ax!!  I tried to breathe! My heart!  My hands were shaking as I started the car and threw it into reverse.  The man was walking toward the car...I had to get out of there!  My trembling hands caused the car to swerve as I backed out of the driveway.   This was a horrible looking man.  There was something wrong with one of his eyes and there was blood on his face like he had been injured or had injured someone.  A black hood covered his head and he was wearing a long, old looking, plaid coat. His boots were muddy. As I gave the car gas and began moving forward, the man began running; running toward the car yelling at me to stop, stop, ...



stop Mel, he yelled.  It's me, Poppy!!!

I can tell you one thing!! Somebody almost got murdered that night!!! and it wasn't me!!!

For years after that Halloween night, mama would call Poppy and say, "please don't do anything to scare her tonight"!  Mama was not a big fan of Halloween night anyway.  She was seriously afraid of that old mask that Poppy wore.



So that's my Halloween story.

By the way, that first paragraph was my imagination. The above story, however, is true.

Love,
Henny Penny



16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Henny,
    You really had me going, I was empathizing with you every step of the way! I've had some dark and scary moments myself in the country, and was taking you seriously.
    This story makes me think of my parents. My father used to get a kick out of startling my mom. He'd startle her, and she'd jump straight up in the air and make a little sound that Dad thought was funny. He'd scare the jump right out of her, and then they'd laugh and laugh. She'd eventually fall into his arms and he'd kiss the top of her head, and tell her how precious she was. Seriously? Yep. They did that throughout
    their whole relationship. I smile at the memory and hope for a love like that.

    I'm so glad Poppy was okay and just being a prankster. Some of the masks that are available are pretty scary, especially in the dark. I'm getting to be a chicken. I like the cute little costumes best.

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,
      Oops! I seem to stay behind in everything lately. That is so sweet about your Mom and Dad. Would be nice if all couples were that nice to each other. And about Poppy's mask...it was awful! It is now so old, the rubber has gotten all gooey and melted together, thankfully! I probably should not have told that story. :) Always glad to hear from you.
      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  3. Henny, Love that story!! I am scared of the dark terribly!! I would have probably ran over him being so scared.
    Love you!! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is lucky I didn't run over him!!! He scared me one other time on Halloween. He hid up the road and when I turned in to come down our dirt path, he jumped onto the back of the pick-up I was driving! I didn't know he was on the back until I stopped in the driveway!
      Love,
      Hanny

      Delete
  4. Love that story. Poppy was a lucky man to have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! He is lucky you didn't back the car into a tree in your effort to flee! Great story and funny also is the fate of the mask -- a rubber lump.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good gracious, I would have backed into a tree or run over the scary dude one...I guess Poppy is lucky to have survived that ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Henny! Here I was worrying and waiting to the end to find out what had been on your porch!
    As my Oklahoma grandmother would say, you're a sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn you -- my heart was beating just reading the story! There would have been some choice words spoken that evening to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would have kept running and never come back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, it would have taken me a long time to recover from that one! The adrenalin would have been roaring..... Hmmm, I think it's Poppy's turn to have the 'you know what' scared out of him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, that was really scary, I would have banned Halloween after such a trick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now THAt is a scary story! I am certain I would have run over him:(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.