Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Eli and the garden are both growing


This little plant, the one with the bloom, has lots of names...Sweet Betsy, Carolina Allspice, Sweet Shrub, and Mama always called it a Bubby Bush. The little blooms smell sweet and spicy and make me think of mama. I really need to find a spot in the yard for this plant and get it out of this pot...


Spring was mighty timid about getting here and just as she was settling in, summer came busting through! It is 91 degrees today. I am not complaining. It is beautiful and sunny and wonderful outside.

Poppy is off work so we are mowing the yard for the first time this spring. I had no idea just how snaky looking the yard had gotten. Man, what a job, and we are not finished, just tired out!

I had to take a picture or two. The yard looks so much better. Actually, I didn't get much of a picture of the mowed yard. Duh!



I worked on Bun Bun's cage today also. To me, this sweet bunny doesn't look like he has had the best of care. Some folks around this area think you can pick up a rabbit by it's ears. They sure do! One of Bun Bun's ears flops, like it was injured. One thing for sure, he will get the best of care here!


Everything in the teeny tiny garden is coming up, even the okra. I am surprised! The garden is not that great looking yet. I will get better pictures later, hopefully. :)




Eli continues to grow and grow. Sorry about the TV in the background. It normally gets turned off after the morning news...


Oops! I hear the mower again. Never let it be said that I sat inside while Poppy worked in the yard!


Thanks for stopping by.

Love,
Henny Penny



15 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great and BunBun looks very relaxed in his new home. I know he will have a good one with you! We've had so much rain it's impossible to get out in the garden. I will be eating my first asparagus tonight though. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to grow Asparagus. That is my husband's favorite vegetable. Hope your rain holds up soon. That front is supposed to reach us by Thurs. with rain.

      Delete
  2. 91 degrees! Way too hot for me. I thought our 75 was feeling pretty toasty. But then I'm just worn out today, so I'm easily over come be anything.
    I always enjoy seeing pics of your yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was way too hot to be out mowing. Thank you. Your yard is simply amazing!

      Delete
  3. Aah, you DID call him Bun Bun! He is a sweety. I know the correct way to pick up a bunny but I cringe when I see other people do it,the poor things can easily snap their spines when held the wrong way.
    Summer has certainly arrived there...look at everything in bloom!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard that about a bunny's spine. I will go on line and read about how to hold a bunny. I really don't know the proper way. He is a sweetie!

      Delete
  4. Eli! I've missed seeing pictures of him. I don't think I'd get much done with him around - all I'd want to do is squeeze his sweet fuzziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get much done because he is such a handful! And big! :)

      Delete
  5. Your garden is beautiful!! We are going to get ours planted hopefully by next week. I am in love with the bunny. He is so pretty. Eli is getting so big.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. It sure feels good to have flowers again, and be spring again! Love you!

      Delete
  6. Bubby Bush. I've never run across that name for them but have heard the others. I love local common names for things. So many times they describe things so perfectly. Once at a plant swap a little old lady mentioned to me that she had brought some really nice frog's bellies. Well, of course I was wondering what on earth that might turn out to be. As it happens that's an Indiana name for sedum and when you think about it, what do the leaves look like except a frogs belly?

    I have just put in a third bubby bush along the back side of our lot here. One dark maroon and the other two a variety called Venus which has a f larger white flower. I love the way the maroon ones look like the flowers are made out of leather.

    My peonys are just beginning to bloom. Over the past 3 or 4 years I've put in about 6 of various colors in a circle around a little Japanese maple in the front yard. A couple are too small to bloom for me but since the others were transplants and so are bigger I do have a bit of a show. I'm so looking forward to seeing them all bushy and flowering all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Victoria! I love hearing the different names people, especially older people call plants too. My Aunt Berlie always called Impatients, Penny Plants. There are lots of others, I can't think of right now. Frog's bellies, that's funny. Your yard sounds beautiful! I can't seem to manage the weeds. It is overwhelming!

      Delete
  7. I hope Eli and Bun Bun are friends! Your peonies are stunning! Enjoy the warmth..we might hit 50 degrees today...maybe but it is still raining:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you must be ready for warm sunny weather. Hope it get there soon. Eli is getting to be a handful!

      Delete
  8. Phew, 91 is hot. We are supposed to reach 84 tomorrow, that will be enough for me:)
    Bun Bun is very cute. Seeing him laid out like that reminded me of the rabbits we had as kids. They had a big pen, and got time to run free around the yard.
    The first of my peonies are just starting to open.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.