Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Decorating for Christmas


I can see here that the knick knacks on the mantle are a bit much.  Need to move a few elsewhere...

A very unusual day here in North Carolina!  Having pulled out all the boxes of Christmas decorations, I go to work to change our little hunting lodge into a winter wonder land.  Make everything Christmasy!  Listen to some old Christmas carols.  But truth is...it is 76 degrees here with a chance of...no, not snow, but a chance of the thermometer hitting 80 degrees!  That's right, 80 degrees!  All the windows are open!  Where the billowing curtains separate I see brown leaves blowing in the wind.  Adding yet another layer of leaves to the layer that fell yesterday on the newly cleaned side yard.  This is getting pretty tiresome!

Hopefully, Christmas will be a little different around here this year.  I don't have a lot to spend on gifts, but I want to go shopping.  Buy a little something that speaks to me...that says, "this is special to give Lynn" or "this is special to give Andee"!  Who wants a list of what everybody wants...where is the fun in shopping if you're going to buy something the person ask you buy.  When did people start telling each other what they want them to buy anyway!!  Where is the Christmas spirit in this?  Dagnabbit!

I get melancholy and go through this every year.  Then I go out shopping and realize all those special little gifts I want to buy, now costs a hundred dollars each.  So, I jump down from my soap box, call Andee and Lynn and suggest we draw names, and can you tell me something to buy the grandchildren? :)

Bickett said he was tired of hearing about it.  To just surprise him...


Dumper said his hair is beginning to grey, do whatever I want...


But both agreed that I should hang mistletoe from the ceiling fan...


Time surely flies.  Better get supper on the table.  Thanks for stopping by.

Love,
Henny Penny







10 comments:

  1. Your decorations look great, but, in truth, I like the old bottles and great portraits best:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, actually. That crap from China takes away from the warm earthy look of the Indians and the bottles. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love your decorations. Can not wait to see your tree. I agree about not asking what to get people for Christmas. I decided this year not to ask and we bought what we wanted. I love the kitties. I really want a pet! I want a dog, but I would take a cat. The funny thing is that Seth is scared of a cat LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am not as good at decorating a tree as you. I worked more on the living room today and will take a few more pictures. Hope you get a dog soon!

      Delete
  3. My cats now want mistletoe on the ceiling fan!!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I really did bring mistletoe inside, Bickett would eat it. I can't have any plants inside because of Bickett. He throws up a lot anyway! Cats are strange, aren't they?

      Delete
    2. Same here, Oscar thinks that every plant is salad.
      Jane x

      Delete
  4. Cats! :)
    Now who dusts all those bottles? I like the looks of them but I am not sure I would want to take them down twice a year or more..they do look pretty up there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me! This collection belongs to Poppy. He claims he likes the dust and cob webs, that it makes the bottles look even more antique. So, if it gets done, I have to do it...and I hate dusting! :)

      Delete
  5. I wandered over here from Far Side of Fifty. I love your log home and your kitties! I used to live in the NC mountains, Leicester to be exact, in a lot home. I loved it there!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.