Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

After Christmas Blues

It takes a few days after the Christmas holiday is over for me to feel like myself again.  Maybe it's all the planning and preparations.  All the excitement and waiting...not just waiting for Santa Claus, but waiting for family.  Andee, Todd, Madison, and Bell (their dog) were driving down from Yorktown on Christmas eve.  Excited, I was constantly peeping out, hoping to see their car coming down the dirt path.  Christmas would start when the first family members arrived.  Then I hear Weetie barking that long high-pitched barking that means ...come quick!  Strange car coming in!  There is nothing better than having Lynn and Andee and their families come home.  After all, seems like the older we get the less we see of each other. 

I had a big pot of chili cooking for supper.  And there was plenty to snack on...a crock pot full of chocolate covered peanuts, the usual brown sugar chew bread, and a vegetable tray.  We would put out the real food on Christmas day!  We enjoyed having them with us on Christmas eve.

Christmas morning...I was busy in the kitchen making sausage biscuits, but Santa had definitely stopped by...


Dear Santa left Bell a Hedgehog in her stocking...


Lynn and her family came on Christmas day.  I was so busy cooking and enjoying the children and listening to everyone talk, I completely forgot to take any pictures.

Michaela said, "Grandma, have you gathered the eggs today?"  When I said "no", she and Madison left for the chicken house.  Both are 14 year old now.  Seems like just yesterday they were spending Christmas here as toddlers...picking at Grandpa...or was it the other way around...


Corn for the ducks...


A very young Madison feeding the chickens...


It was a perfectly wonderful Christmas.  The day was gone too quickly.  I felt sad as each one pulled out of the driveway.  I haven't quite recovered yet! :(

Thank you for stopping by.

Love,
Henny Penny


9 comments:

  1. I am still tired too! Christmas is not for Sissy Grandmas ...it is lots of work.
    I enjoyed the photos of your young grands..they change so fast (I have two 14 year olds too). Rest..you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. And, lots of work putting everything back in it's place. :)

      Delete
  2. Funny, I always thought that even when my children grew up and had children of their own that we would STILL spend every magical Christmas together, but I've noticed it too. It seems that our "together" time becomes less frequent as the years go by... and it sure is a sad time when they leave to return home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, you do not look like a grandma! There is so much I want to read on your blog...I was there for 30 to 45 minutes yesterday. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you got to spend Christmas with your children and their families. Cindy and Randy and their families are coming Saturday I have not seen them since last Christmas.
    Love you Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know you are excited to have Cindy and Randy and the children there! It will be like Christmas all over! Hope you all have lots of fun today! Love you!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Mama, I know it went by waaaaay too quickly! I miss everyone. And it will be months before we are all together again. It could be depressing to think on it!! The food this year was PERFECT, and I mean that. I agree with Poppy in that the food was never better. And I love my Charles Dickens book! Cannot wait to sit down and really go through the reproduction documents and papers in it. And I love everything else as well! I am toasting you with a cut of coffee right now!!

    I love you!!
    Your Gur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. Wish we were having a cup of coffee together this morning...with one of those big cinnamon rolls Andee brought! I love you too, Mom

      Delete
  5. Dear Henny, Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas and just glad you did not post food pics because then I would blow my new diet! Lovely family, I am so glad that they all came. You will have to talk more about the "chew bread" you mentioned, I have never heard of that or maybe we have it, but a different name. Blessings for the new year, you are the dearest!~ Also love the goats! Terry

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.