Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Silver and Mama

This morning when I reached up in the cabinet for the coffee filters, I spotted my lovely (thrift store) silver tea pot, all tarnished and needing to be polished.  Well this brought back a flood of dear sweet memories of mama again.  Here are a few favorite pieces of my collection of silverware...


all from thrift stores, antique shops, and yard sales.  I love all the different patterns.  This tea pot reminds me a little of the teapot in mama's set.  I enjoy polishing it and remembering mama polishing her silver.  Of course, I was right next to her, ever watching!




Do ladies still use their silver service sets?  The set mama had back in the mid 1950's was complete with coffee pot, tea pot, creamer and sugar bowl  all on a beautiful heavy tray with a handle on each side...a gift from daddy, from a business trip to New York.  The set was displayed on the buffet in the dining room.  In fact, here is a set that looks very much like the one mama had...only the tray is different.

 
Mama did actually use her silver service set.  Once a month the Circle Meeting was at our house and she served coffee to the ladies using this  set, along with her china cups and saucers.  I was fascinated!  I adore tea sets.

More pieces of my collection...I have only one spoon from mama's set of silverware...second from the right...








I also have only one piece of mama's china...this sugar bowl with a cracked lid...


I also have a weakness for old linen napkins trimmed in lace, all starched and ironed and folded.  You know with our life style, Poppy and me, in this simple cabin out here in the country, with dust, and cobwebs strung from one deer head to the other...I would hardly set the table with fine china and silverware, or serve coffee from a beautiful silver coffee pot.  Can I picture Poppy drinking coffee from a china cup and saucer??  Definitely not!! Mugs, large mugs with a big handle and some wild animal pictured on the front, that's what Poppy reaches for.

Mama used her fine china and silverware at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and anytime company was there and we ate in the dining room.  

I really don't need all this silverware and this teapot to keep polished...and add to my list of things to do...but there is just something there that tugs at my heart.  Doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

Love,
Henny Penny

10 comments:

  1. Dear Henny: Your post goes straight to my heart today! I love the silver teapot! My mother's mother always had tea in the silver pot and "cubes" of sugar in the sugar bowl. Not to mention that I have a complete Noritake china set in boxes in the attic that I will never take out and use. All those serving pieces - gracious! I gave my aunt Fay my grandmother's sugar bowl because I will never use it. I hope you keep those things, your own daughters will want them! They go just fine in a cabin, farm house, whatever. Linens! Omigoodness! I have enough to supply a hotel for a week, I believe, and I never use them so I won't mess them up! There are napkins, tableclothes, pillow cases - almost all hand embroidered and needing ironing. I don't want to think about them! You have warmed my heart to the quick today, Henny - remembering good things that linger in my heart about bygone days and hoping for better things to come! Love You..Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terry, I'm so glad you liked the post. I wasn't sure if it was okay or not...so thank you. I would love to see your linens and china. Poppy and I stopped at a yard sale one time and the man sold me a box of old linens that had gotten rained on, for two dollars. I washed and starched and ironed...some were ragged and ruined but it was fun. I have mama's old cedar chest full of stuff like that. Love you too...Henny

      Delete
  2. Dear Henny,
    Yes, people still use their tea service. With our l-o-n-g winters, it comes in handy! When folks express interest in having a tea, I suggest setting a lovely table with all sorts of dainties a couple times a year and have the ladies close by over. Mother's Day, Christmas, doesn't matter when, just do it. (there won't be a perfect time, everyone is so busy, but the hostess gets to choose the date, as she must be there! haha!) It chases the gloomies away, and invites a cozy chat. It warms the heart to prepare the table of blessing, stirs anticipation in those who will come to that table, and is the perfect occasion for establishing new traditions.
    In the spring my lovelies and I have a tea. I put on the invitation to wear a hat and dress girlie. The first year I wondered if I should put that on there, not. Turns out, people look forward to dressing up and anticipate it. Who knew? This year I want to hang lights from the trees and take pictures.
    By way of antique linens, I use them on my Hoosier display and the table on the entry way. That way I get to enjoy seeing them and they aren't getting used so heavily they won't survive!
    I have a set of silver that I bought at a garage sale too. It is the same as the middle pattern you displayed. I like knowing you have it too. :)
    When women gather, especially for a period of refreshment, it rejoices the spirit and strengthens all present. Long live the tea ceremony! Long live the fellowship and gentle women!

    Thanks for the great post and for sharing your patterns.

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,
      Thank you! You make me want to have a tea party. I've often thought about that...I wish Lynn and I lived closer to each other because she loves things like that too, even the dressing up part. You know Lynn! It would be so much fun to dress girlie and wear a hat! I just may talk to Lynn and plan one with her and a few ladies up her way! Sounds like you decorate beautifully, and do such beautiful things! Enjoyed your comment!
      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  3. Dear Mrs. Henny Penny,
    This is Sandra Lynn the Big Fat Hen. Has it ever occurred to you that I was referred to as a Hen in first grade? The apple does not fall far from the tree. I love this post about the silver and the napkins. And, yes, I can attest to the fact that we use cloth napkins at Henny Penny's house, and I use them in my home as well. Just something about a cloth napkin. :) I love you, mama! SLTBFH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a mess Sandra Lynn the Big Fat Hen!! I had forgotten that you were called a hen in first grade!! I love you! Henny

      Delete
  4. Dear Henny Penny,
    I love the silver. I don't use cloth napkins at my house either even when company comes. Love you!!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Vicki, I had rather use a paper napkin but Dan hates a paper napkin. I have to always give him a cloth one!!! Imagine that!!! :) Love you too! Henny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Henny Penny,
    Many things come to mind, looking at your silver pieces. I always thought they were so splendid when I was little, in other people's homes, or in a movie. When I married, we were given some, and I have only used them every once in a while. I am having a shower on Sunday for my Daughter-in-law, Jaclyn, and new baby Charlotte. I could get the pieces out for this occasion if I polished them....better hurry! When my son and Jaclyn got married, they had a wonderful florist who had us going into old cupboards, thrift stores, etc. to find old silver containers to hold her arrangements of succulents, pebbles, and beach findings. We got lots of the plant material from my Mom's garden. The tarnish and patina on the old silver worked beautifully with the succulents, and the seaside atmosphere. I kept some old pieces to use again, and they were very inexpensive. In fact, my son picked up a silver mug at Salvation Army and read the "retirement sentiments" inscribed to someone long ago. Commented, "Gee, this guy worked 30 Years for this company and all they gave him was this mug?" I hope he got a nice pension as well, whoever it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam,
      Oh, you should use your silver for the shower! When I am polishing all this stuff, I make big plans to use it...the next time Lynn and Andee and their families are here for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner! But then who has time to think about silver in this tiny kitchen with eleven hungry people waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven!!! :) The wedding sounds beautiful using the silver! Wouldn't you love to know the story behind the retirement mug?? Good to hear from you!

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.