Pages

Friday, December 30, 2022

Last post of the year...

Dearest friends,

Hope all of you had the most wonderful Christmas.

Now, I wish you a very Happy New Year! 

I'm telling you, your nice comments and Christmas wishes on my last post made Christmas for me, seriously! Thank you so much. 

I must say, this was the strangest Christmas Holiday ever!  

And I am not complaining. Just thought I would tell you about Christmas Day down here on Henny Penny Lane.

Oh, but first, if you don't mind, look at these pictures...


this was last Friday afternoon as that big cold front, the Bomb Cyclone, I believe they called it, moved through. It's odd how the tree tops looked white...there were wind gusts 40 to 50 mph as the temperature dropped. Strange stuff everywhere!


Folks were warned to stay inside if possible and around here with all the trees...well you should see the yard! Tree limbs, chairs and large pieces of tin blown around...

plus, my big Santa picture blew out of the frame and the swag of greenery, off the door...small stuff, really

So we can forget all that. I decided to make a pot of fudge for Christmas! I started the fudge in the same pot I always use for fudge, but this time it boiled over...I grabbed a bigger pot and transferred the boiling liquid. Along about this same time Poppy yelled something about two charges on the bank statement...grrrrrr

Anyhow, I marched back to the bedroom and jerked open a file drawer, twisting my back...the pain was excruiating. Hobbled back to the kitchen, pulled the boiling fudge off the burner, added butter and vanilla and tried to stir the fudge. Here's how it turned out...


Ruined! Hard as a rock! Anyhow, with an ice pick I got out what I could, put the pot in the sink to soak and went to bed. I didn't sleep much though...had chills...just couldn't get warm. Woke up Saturday, Christmas Eve, sick! 

We cancelled all Christmas plans. By Sunday afternoon, Poppy was running a fever and sick too...so we've been home all week, taking cold medicine and eating chicken soup. Today, Friday, we both are feeling much better. In fact, I've raked leaves most of the day. It felt wonderful!! The yard is looking better too!!

Poppy stayed inside most of the day. He did climb the tree, late afternoon to deer hunt a little. Monday, will end this deer hunting season and I am so thankful!

Smokey found a warm spot in the middle of my sewing...


That old apron in the picture came from an antique shop and is the only comfortable apron I've ever worn. I was tellling that to my friend Carla and she offered to make a pattern from the old apron...which she did. I'm tickled to death and hope to get a few made. Will sure keep you posted. 

Anyhow friends, I wish you all much happiness and good health in the new year...

                            HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

love, Henny




28 comments:

  1. Im sorry your pan of fudge was ruined, all that deliciousness gone to waste. Backs are temperamental, and usually not when you are expecting it, I'm happy to read you are both over what ailed you and on the mend.
    Wishing you both a very Happy and Healthy New Year dear friend.
    Hugs,
    Jo
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not anonymous : A Brit in Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Henny, It sounds like a stormy, tumultuous, fudgeless, sickly holiday for both you and Poppy. So sorry to hear that but so glad you're both feeling better now. Just in time for us all to wish you a very good and Happy New Year. You're in my prayers, God Bless you both. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I'm so sorry Henny. The storm, the fudge, your back, and then BOTH of you getting sick. What a hard and frustrating Christmas for you. It was a strange Christmas for so many this year. I'm glad that you're both on the mend. Take it easy and don't do too much all at once. I hope your New Year is a much better celebration for you. The weather has finally eased for much of the country and I hope you are one of those.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! My! Goodnes! Henny.....Talk about the 'Good..the Bad..and the Ugly...
    HeHe! The fudge made me chuckle...perhaps Poppy has a wall that
    needs 'pointing' so it would'nt go to waste...! :0)

    During the Holidays my daughter comes up to me and ask if I would like
    some fudge....
    I enthusiastically agreed....

    Her: "Male Fudge or Female Fudge?"

    Me: "What's the difference?"

    Her: "Male Fudge has nuts!"

    And...Did you know..that National Fudge Day will be on...
    Friday 16th of June...!

    So...A very BIG (((Hug))) and X for the lovely Smokey....
    And a very Happy New Year to one and all....God Bless!x
    πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’œπŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’œπŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’œπŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good thing New Year's is coming. That kind of sounded like the week from hell. And now the ruined fudge just is the bad icing on the cake. Glad that by the time you wrote this you were feeling better even though I'm not sure about raking Lee's after having hurt your back again. We look forward to you in the new year and we all hope that it's much better for everyone. Precious sends Smokey a big perm and some gray fur.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Henny, what a weekend! With the weather, the fudge, your back, and sickness... that's a Christmas weekend you will want to forget. But so happy to hear that both of you are feeling better. And love seeing pics of Smokey. He reminds me so much of our Ghost. And now we have a kitten outside that looks like Ghost too. He's feral... and won't get close, but we're trying to get him and his 3 siblings friendlier. We opened the garage for them when the Arctic Blast came in and they seem to have taken up residence there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no that was some day you had and on top of that to get sick. Glad to hear you are feeling better now.
    Lots of branches and sticks all over the place here too. LOTS to put on my fences!! :)
    Wishing you and Poppy and all the animals a Happy and Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're feeling better. Hope your new year is filled with blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, you certainly had some "fun" over Christmas. Glad to hear you are both getting better now, and wishing you an awesome 2023 :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh that was a rough Christmas for you! I'm glad you are feeling better now! I had never heard of a Cyclone Bomb before Christmas week! It was freezing cold here too and we drove home from my brother's house in a huge blizzard! Happy New Year to you and yours, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year to you too dear Henny Penny. I hope that back of yours has improved. I am pleased to read you are both on the mend now. Lets hope 2023 brings health & happiness to us all. x0x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now we are only a few hours away from the New Year. The years surely do zip by, it seems. Happy New Year to you and Poppy and all the critters at Henny Penny Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry about your fudge disaster but it kind of makes me feel better to know that stuff happens to other people too.
    (Check out my blog to read the dumb thing I did.) I hope your back heals quickly and that both you and Poppy feel better. Happy new year in spite of everything!!! Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, ruined fudge and being sick on Christmas sounds like no fun at all!
    I'm so glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no about the fudge. I hope you have a wonderful new year - just no fudge! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness what a difficult Christmas that made for you both. I'm glad to hear that you both are feeling better. Having the bad stuff over and done with is a sign that the coming year will go well for you both.

    Take it easy with all that raking now. You've got several months to work on it in short bits and pieces before really good weather gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you are feeling better! We thought we'd lose power during that storm, as the winds were higher than I've ever seen them here-but God kept the power on for us. That really was a miracle because we lose power at least a dozen times a year. I love your apron-it looks like the ones my grandma would make and wear. I still have one of her aprons. It's quite worn but I love it. Happy new year-it is always so nice to visit your blog and to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, boy, that was some pot to clean after the fudge debacle! I’m sorry you were both sick for Christmas. Wishing you both a happy, healthy, wonderful New Year, dear Henny.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my I really wanted some fudge for Christmas. Sorry yours got ruined. So sorry you and Poppy got sick. I am glad you are feeling better. I love you both and hope you both have a great New Year. Love Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year Henny Penn! I am so very sorry you got sick! I am glad though that you and poppy were together to comfort each other. It was subzero up here with freezing winds and busted water pipes, the whole 9 yards! Any way, glad you are on the mend. Your photos were beautiful and showed how the sky looked very strange for the last of December. Take care of yourself! Love Terry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, Henny Penny! A belated Happy New Year to you too :) So so sorry you both were sick, AND your fudge was spoiled. That's not fair! Glad you are well. We also had so many limbs blown down, and I finally got them burned in the barrel last week. I need to write a blog post about my insane Christmas too, but haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Henny,
    Carla T here, silly blogger had me anonymous for some reason.
    I am sorry to hear you were ill for Christmas. I hope you are feeling better as of today.
    Sending snowy hugs from Wisconsin!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, bless you! I've had days (weeks) like that, too! Such a bummer to be sick during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.