Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Down Henny Penny Lane...

early this morning, I asked Poppy to hold onto Ellie while I made a picture of the sky. It was so pretty! and even better with these three walking up ahead...


Poppy walks Eli, while Ellie skips along with me. Ellie and I laugh at the two slow pokes as we take three or four steps to their one. 

The unsettled looking clouds are probably from Hurricane Ida as she moves north. We are in a slight risk for high winds or an isolated tornado later today. What we need most right now is rain.

I'm feeling mighty proud this morning! Well, actually  it's nothing to be proud of, but you know how I have always said, "I am not a pickle maker or a jelly maker", but would you look at this...


two jars of fig preserves,  made by me, that actually turned out right.

After thirty two years of living here, we finally have two fruit trees that give us fruit; a fig tree and a pear tree.  Lots of figs this summer...


but not many pears. There are three or four pears on the tree I'm keeping an eye on. Oh, and talking about preserves and canning...


last week when I posted pictures of the peppers, I forgot to mention the three jars of pickled green beans on the shelf...thanks to "Granny Marigold". She posted about canning pickled green beans. Well, I got all excited and found a recipe online and made these three jars. "Granny Marigold" offered to send me her recipe, which I would love to have. Thank you!

Might as well show you one more jar of delicious looking...


HONEY! This is a quart of "Blue Bird" honey, made by bees just a quarter mile on down Henny Penny Lane. Our soon to be new neighbor stopped by yesterday and gave us this early Christmas present. Steve is a bee keeper. We are so excited about Steve and his wife building their new home and moving out here. 

Well, back to our walk...

Actually, this is a different picture from the first one, Poppy and the dogs were a little farther down the road and the sun was brighter. Just had to take two. The sky was so pretty.

and about this pot sitting in the yard... 

it's a big old pot that sits near the kitchen sink to hold food scraps, used paper towels, napkins, etc. for the compost bin. After emptying it this morning I sat it here in the hot sun. The sun dries it completely. It almost looks bleached. Don't you love the sun for making things smell clean and fresh?

Funny, I had other things in mind to talk about when I sat down  to do this post, but will just go with this for now. Promise to get away from the garden and food stuff next time. :) Working on more clothespin dolls and bonnets, and have another special doll or two but will save all this for next time. 

Sure appreciate your visiting.

Love,
Henny


 

29 comments:

  1. Hi Henny! So nice to see you back so soon! Wow....you've been busy canning green beans and figs and snapping awesome pics of beautiful skies and walking pals! And now you're so lucky, you're getting new neighbors who make honey! How awesome! Hope you get some of that rain you're hoping for, without the storms! Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. We did get some rain, almost 3/4". The wind blew a little but no storms. Now this morning it is cool 66 degrees with a breeze. It feels wonderful!

      Delete
  2. I really like your cloud photos. It's a brooding sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you escaped the bad weather from Ida. Nice photo of the walkers! Your canning looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty sky photos! You are so lucky to have a fig tree in your backyard. I bet those preserves are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am envious of your figs. I love them and they are hard to come by here.

    I use sun power to refresh my covid masks between washings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Henny, we're envious of your figs too. We had 2 beautiful fig trees that produced really well until this winter's Arctic weather here in Texas. Both have died... well, the trees died, but there are some live shoots coming up from the ground. So, perhaps we may have figs again one day. Love all your pics, and especially the ones of Poppy and the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those photos on the road look good enough to frame! Your pictures of those fig preserves take me right back to my childhood. We had a fig tree and my Mother made the best fig preserves from it. I haven't tasted any like it since then but I bet yours are sure good! I hope you will eventually get more pears on your tree. I once knew a lady that made pear preserves and they were really special. You don't see those much either, or at least not around here.

    I always love seeing a post from you and I look forward to seeing those dolls! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sky photos. Poppy and the dogs look mighty happy too, walking down the road.
    The fig preserves look delicious and I'm sure they taste the same. I would be proud too. I've never made jams or preserves and should probably try sometime.
    I never tire of hearing about your garden and life about the cabin. Whatever you write about, I love!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. As busy as you are in the kitchen I'm glad you had time for a lovely walk and to see the beautiful sky. That hurricane brought me almost 2 in of rain and you know how far is North in Ohio we are. Hope you got a bit. We'll be keeping an eye out to see a picture of those dolls that you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo of the famous three..! :).
    I think the reason the boys are a bit
    behind, is that probably walk like gentlemen..
    the girls tend to hop~skip~jump along..! HeHe! :).

    Wow! I love fig preserve, but then l love any
    preserve..I never bother making any, as l get
    a lot given by family and friends, especially
    my daughter..! Love it on anything really,
    especially with curry..! :0).

    And..the peppers, the three jars of pickled green
    beans on the shelf, are amazing, such a lovely
    colours to..Lovely!

    And..honey..who does'nt love honey, l have a
    spoonful every morning in my green tea, with
    a slice of lemon..!

    I am worried about the BIG old pot, Henny,
    what ever you do, don't leave a roll of toilet
    paper anywhere near it..! :(.
    In the meantime, enjoy your many walks...! :O).
    🌱 🌽 🌿 🍅 🍇 🍈 🍉 🌱 🌽 🌿 🍅 🍇 🍈 🍉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny! I didn't think about how that pot looked sitting in the yard. Here I was feeling proud of the sun's cleaning power. I bet your daughter does make delicious preserves. I like honey in green tea too. Thank you Willie.

      Delete
  11. Hi Henny,
    Your preserved Figs look very nice as does the jar of Honey. Stay well and safe there. Regards. kEV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm getting so forgetful. I read this yesterday and I thought I'd commented but now I see I didn't.
    Great pictures of Poppy walking the 2 dogs. And you've been very busy in the kitchen. Your garden seems to have done very well again. Take care and keep safe. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, some good looking canning you have. Those beans will be so good in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love looking at all your goodness. I tried making jelly again this year too. I am no good at it as well. But I tried again. I made grape jelly, it turned out! And it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m admiring your fig preserves! The cardinal got a lot of ours so not enough to preserve. What spices did you use? Honey is a wonderful Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the first picture of Poppy walking the dogs under the beautiful sky.
    Great job on your canning and preserves, but what I like best is the honey. Love honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet picture of Poppy walking down the road with Eli, she is growing like a weed !
    Your preserves look delicious Henny, I'm sure they will taste divine, slathered on a hot biscuit :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, Melba, you sure have been busy! I am tickled about your fig preserves! I would love to have a fig tree but it wouldn't grow in our sad soil. The green beans look yummy, too! Such a sweet gift from your neighbors! I bet you have already had some of it, on a biscuit perhaps. Beautiful pictures of your loved ones and the sky. That pot in the yard reminds me of my grandmother. She had pots sitting all over the yard with all manner of plants in them.

    Grace and Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I am so jealous that you have figs and mine are still green. They seemed to come on earlier this year so I have hopes that they will actually get to ripen. Keep your figgy fingers crossed for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have heard a lot about Ida here - I hope you never got any tornadoes but did get some rain.
    Love seeing all your preserving efforts, so much a part of autumn. And I adore Fig Jam :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful posting. The honey looks delicious. Your canned goods are so pretty and will taste great this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so funny, I have an enameled pot that gets scraps and such in it, too! The sun is an amazing sanitizer, isn't it? Congrats on those figs and green beans you canned! Your new neighbor sure gave you a fine gift of that honey!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at all that beautiful canning you've done! Good work :) I'm making fig preserves soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was a nice stroll through a quiet day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm impressed with all your productivity, Henny! Hope you get the rain you're needing. We could use some too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have figs!!! You lucky person. It is only recently that I came to know that figs grew in other places in the United States besides southern California. Your jars of canned goods look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is a deep satisfaction to do any kind of canning/freezing or drying. I always loved helping my mom in the summer. The only thing, I have NEVER made jelly or jam. When I was home I was always gone picking the blackberries. (Wild) And mom did the jelly. I would be there on the end of it..

    Your jars look tasty.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.