Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Hens on Henny Penny Lane

Oh goodness, I was going to tell you how crazy the hens go in springtime, but then, who am I to talk! I go just as crazy. Every day is packed with happy stuff to do outside and crapy stuff to do inside. 

Why, there's no telling how many steps I walk a day. If only there was time to stop and put my Fitbit on. :) 

So about the hens...


Way over a month ago, three hens decided they wanted to set (as we used to call it). Every day it was a fuss and a fight over a nest box and a few eggs. 


and all the while Poppy preaching, "don't let those hens set. We can't sell the eggs we have now. We sure don't need more chickens".

So, without Poppy knowing, I met with the hens and here's what we decided...Each hen got a nest box and two marked eggs. I then put up one new nest box for the other laying hens. Finally! Peace and quiet in the chicken house, until...


Chicks began hatching.  Time flies, doesn't it!  Two mama hens, each with two baby chicks. Had to get busy and find them all a safe place, so I divided the little covered guinea pen into sections, making homes for the two mamas and their babies. 

Then Poppy found out...not to worry I told him. My plan is to sell the whole lot on Craigslist. My ad reading..."Mama hen and two chicks $15.00. Take them all; Two mama hens and four chicks $25.00."  Got immediate response in emails...so I called the first one. Turned out to be a nice couple with a young son who live about five minutes from us. How nice!  I worry too much about animals and want them to be cared for properly. They bought them all. :(

Now the third old set'n hen has been a worry. Three time, I've been in the chicken house to gather eggs and caught her off her nest and sitting on the fresh eggs...while her three marked eggs lay cold and unattended. Forgot to tell you I gave this hen one extra egg. Anyhow, I would pick her up and put her back on her marked eggs. 

So Poppy, once again, "you need to throw her eggs away and take her off the nest. She'll get over it. Those eggs are not going to hatch. Just throw them over the fence in the woods".

But I waited, and late yesterday while gathering the eggs, found two teeny tiny chicks under mama hen. Checked again this morning and there were three. :)


Don't know if I can part with these. I've worried so about the others having to leave home.


We'll see.  Long ago, women folk talked about what they bought with their egg money...I bought mulch and plants with my hen and chick money.

Appreciate your visiting. Hope to be back soon...

Love,

Henny

Poppy holding the babies...


 


25 comments:

  1. You could not possibly give those adorable balls of fluff away! Besides, now that he has held them I’m sure Poppy is on board, too. We all know what an old softie he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss fresh eggs. A co worker of my Husband use to supply us with eggs, but when covid hit he stopped. I cannot wait til he starts again. Nothing better than fresh eggs from a farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, so cute! at least for now.
    Actually you are only one chicken from before since you got rid of two hens. And you had money to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those little chicks are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little chicks are so cute. I know you're going to keep them and Poppy will be okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - that last photo is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That story has made me cry, but happy tears. That old set'n hen knew what she was about! Good gravy, so glad you didn't take her eggs away! Those 3 need to be kept, they are extra-special! LOl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha....that was quite a cute ending to your story about the hens and chicks....with Poppy holding the new babies!
    Will you keep this hen and her chicks? Hope they all do well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything sweeter than baby chicks !
    You are a true mother, looking out for those babies....I would love to have some hens but the hawks and coyotes would be such a hassle to deal with.
    I'll just enjoy looking at your pictures :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The eggs gave my Mom a meagre amount of cash to spend on other things. she also had a cream check.

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute!! Nice story and they are eggstraspecial !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! Those little fluff balls just wiggle their way into a heart don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The feed stores in town have baby chicks now; sure is tempting to get back in the business. How I always loved watching a hen with her brood of baby chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was thinking the same thing as Linda said, you're only one chicken more than before you gave all of the others away...and you made money too! Plus, Poppy has now held those babies. He won't make you get rid of them now. He'a a softie just like all of us isn't he?
    I sure wish I lived closed to you. I would definitely be buying eggs from you. There is nothing like fresh eggs. I once read that the eggs you buy in a store are, on average, six weeks old when they go on the shelves. That made me appreciate farm fresh ones even more!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I just love that last picture! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! Wow! What a great post! Loved it..! :).
    You could write a small paperback about
    the chicken and chicks..chicken and chicks?
    Oh! No! That's chicken and chips..HeHe!
    Silly Willie..! :).

    And..do l see a little black one..goodness!
    What a variety! Cluck! Cluck! All those
    chickens, how will they ALL cross the road! :).

    HeHe! And..names for the bottom three perhaps..
    The Good..the Bad..and the Ugly..No! perhaps
    not..! :o).
    ❀ヅ❤♫ ¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯ ❀ヅ❤♫

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute are those little chickens- good going there Henny. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are just so tiny in your hand,Henny. What worry fun and work for you and the hens. Do hope the
    boy enjoys life with chicks growing up. Wonder if he is in 4H and going to show some day?
    Keep us posted about your 3 little ones there. And is Heidi doing well now? Completely cured?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what lovely chicks...I think you should keep these three for sure. Maybe you could hide them from Poppy :)! Enjoy your garden friend and have a blessed weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Henny, this was the best story. I was laughing out loud about Poppy. Well done with writing it.
    Can you believe we only have one week of May left!!! WOW, time just keeps going and I keep trying to keep up with it. HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see where this is going. Once you got Poppy holding them it was all over. He won't let those sweeties go. Why couldn't you sell your eggs. Just put a table out by the road and set a price and let people pay if they want or not. I bet a lot of people would pay even with no one there to personally charge them. Who doesn't like "fresh from the hen eggs"? They taste so much better than store bought ones. I bet you would have a going concern right away.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You do know a lot about chickens and I find it all so interesting. I would love to have a few and I'd have lots to learn.
    The last photo is so cute. All the best to the little ones you rehomed. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh they are so sweet dear Henny Penny. I think I would want to keep them too. I feed & look after hens & chickens for my neighbours who go away alot & they are just darling little things. Your photos are beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Henny I am catching up! Just look at Poppy with those chicks, please keep them!I love chickens and its about the same, 6 or 12, they need a little looking after. Much love, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  25. The babies are adorable! You should certainly keep them. You are NOT adding; you are replacing the hens you will certainly lose in the next year, with free new hens. Actually only one of those will end up being a hen. Then you'll have 2 extra roosters on your hands!!
    But they are cute. I fought long and hard to prevent 2 hens from setting eggs, and I won!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.