Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

The potting bench

Saturday morning I woke up early, like 3:00 a.m. thinking about building a potting bench.  I've been cleaning the woods around the greenhouse and garden.  A potting bench would be perfect!!!  A place for pots, plants, tubs, and tools!!!  I could not go back to sleep once I got this on my mind!  Wondering if I could find enough stuff to use without buying anything???  As soon as I saw Poppy out the door, fed the animals, made the bed, and put a load of clothes in to wash, I got my basket and marched outside.  Here's what I came up with (about 8 hours later and dead tired.  Lugging those 16 heavy cinder blocks from down in the back yard just about did me in!!!)...

I don't know why I didn't think about needing a potting bench before now.  Usually I have soil in the wheelbarrow and just sit what needs to be potted on top of that.  Bending over the wheelbarrow can be tiring.  Creating this potting area was fun, almost like building a playhouse. :)  I'm still thinking of things to add.  That old barrel type pot underneath the bench will hold the potting soil, but a big wooden box with a lid would be better.  You know what would be perfect, an old kitchen sink fitted into the center of the bench, then hook the garden hose to the sink.  I've seen this done before in a magazine article.  I need to search for that magazine!! Then I need to talk to my nephew Greg, the plumber...He probably has an old sink, or 2, stored out behind the barn!!!

The potting bench is just to the left of the garden and small greenhouse...



Every year I think "we have plenty of sunshine in the yard", but then when everything turns green and the trees leaf out!!!  It looks like the rain forest!!  We left way too many trees when we build this place.  Remember the old bluegrass song, something about "my little old log cabin in the woods"!!!  Well that's what we wanted.  Leaves knee-deep up to the door steps!!  But then I decided I wanted a yard full of flowers!!!
 
We've had probably 15 to 20 trees cut out of the yard since moving in!!!  Here the leaves are still small.  Mama used to say the leaves would be "full grown" by May 10th.

The rain is coming down hard this morning.  Now that the garden is planted, this is what we need to make it grow.:)

Thank you for looking at my blog.
Love,
Henny Penny

 

8 comments:

  1. It's absolutely beautiful. Totally my dream home. :) I'm so glad your sharing it with us on your blog.

    The DIY potting bench is pretty genius, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesa, thank you so much!! I appreciate you, and your nice comments!
      Love,
      Henny Penny

      Delete
  2. Oops... your=you're. I hate when I mistype that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have noticed!!! But me too, I hate when I do that. :)
      Thank you Lesa

      Delete
  3. Oh Henny!
    You do inspire me so! How can I possibly endure one more grey, cold rainy day when you post things like this? Positively brilliant. (Lynn has your creativity and resourcefulness, but you already knew that :))
    Your sweet cabin in the woods is so appealing. *restful*

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,

      Thank you so much! You say the nicest things! Do you ever feel like the days are passing so fast you can't keep up!!:) Seems like the whole USA has had more cold, grey, rainy days than usual. We saw the sun peek through for just a minute this morning for the first time this week. The seven day forecast is for seven more days of the same cloudy, misty, cool weather.

      Love,
      Henny Penny

      "Oh Henny" makes me laugh.:) That's so cute!

      Delete
  4. Mama, you've got the best cabin ever! Tell Poppy hello.

    Love you!
    Your gur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. I will. Wish we could spend a day together!
      Love,
      Mom

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.