Welcome back down Henny Penny Lane...
Hope you still are my friends. Forgive me for going away and not saying goodbye or I will be back or anything! Life sure can get crazy. I won't try to back up and bore you with all the details...just go from here.
Must share with you though, we lost our sweet Eli last Tuesday. Of course, our hearts are broken. Our little house is just not the same. We have a big empty chair in the living room. It has been several months since Eli could even climb into his chair. Eli was going on 13 years old. He was certainly showing his age and had lost the muscles and most of the nerves, the vet said, in his back legs. He will forever be in our hearts...
Eli's vet says he lived a nice long life but not long enough for Poppy and me. Seems like just yesterday we brought this little ball of fur with the white eyelashes home...
It will take a while to recover from this one.
How's your summer been? Hopefully, not as hot and dry as it has been here in our part of North Carolina. We have broken records...hottest June...dryest June...most days without rain! We were in a terrible drought all through spring and most of this summer.
Only one pear survived on our two pear trees...
Funny, after that crazy ice storm in February, remember the one where I chopped up all my towels with a potato rake?? :) Well it warmed up so much that the pear trees bloomed, then we had winter come back in March. :(
Not a good year for gardening either...here are a couple of sunflowers. I always love a sunflower...
and this one trying to top the old birdhouse...
and Poppy took this one on our walk with Ellie this morning...
Not a very exciting post. Thank you if you're still here. I have missed you all!
Love, Henny

I check now and then for a nice post from you but was worried so glad to see one today, So very sorry for your loss of such a beautiful boy Eli, my heart breaks for all of you. Our son lives in Raleigh as well so we hear about the hot dry weather. We visited in July and it wasn't quite so hot at that time but so dry. So glad you are all well except for your heartbreak but thank you for taking to the time to write such a nice post. I love your sunflowers, here in WV there has been recent rain and flooding and our garden isn't doing well at all. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThank you Cynthia for the nice comment. Seems like I remember there being a few cooler days in July. August has been awfully hot and dry. My daughter and son-in-law live in Hedgesville WV and my granddaughter and her family live in Hedgesville. 😊
DeleteOh so sorry you have lost Eli. Well the vet was right in that he did have a really long life and I know it was a happy. I know you must be sad to see him go but that's the way of things. We almost always outlive our pets. No getting around it.
ReplyDeleteI'd give you a big hug if I could.
Victoria
Hey Victoria. Thank you! I could use a hug. I’m sure everyone who has ever had a pet understands the hurt.
Deletewe've missed you too!
ReplyDeleteThank you Bettina!
DeleteOh goodness me dear Henny Penny ... what awful news. 🥲😢 I am so very sorry about dear darling Eli. I imagine Ellie is missing him just as you both are. Remember what a wonderful life he had there with you dear Henny & you will see him again at the Rainbow Bridge. Sending love to you across the oceans & the miles x0x0x
ReplyDeleteThank you, Julie for such a sweet loving kind comment.
DeleteSo glad to see you back, Melba. Sure am sad about your Eli. What a special dog he was. I bet Ellie is missing him greatly. Gosh, we have had drought conditions all summer here too. I have never seen such a rain-less season. Praying we will get some soon. Hope you are getting some too. Love your sunflowers and that one beautiful pear! Love you Melba. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThank you, my dear friend Diane. I didn't realize northern Wisconsin is experiencing a drought too. Sounds like most of are needing cooler weather and more rain. Hopefully soon. Love you too!!!
DeleteOh, Henny, I'm so sorry to hear about Eli. I can only imagine how strange it must feel without him... and Ellie will miss him terribly. But you gave him a good life and he was well loved. Take comfort in that...
ReplyDeleteAnd glad to see you back. Here in Texas it's hot and dry also... but it's almost September and Fall will be upon us hopefully soon.
Thank you so much Rian. Yes, we can tell a difference in Ellie. She will get up off the couch and go to Dan's chair and lay her head in his lap or go on the porch and bark a couple of times. She doesn't understand where her Eli is. Oh my goodness, I am so ready for Fall, and I claim to be a summer person. :)
DeleteOh! My! Goodness! It's a great pity that dogs and cats don't
ReplyDeletelive as long as humans...there here for such a short time,
as you enjoy their funny ways...Bless them...!x
So very sorry to read of Eli You will sorely miss him, as we
will out here, it was always a joy to hear of his adventures,
as we do with 'ALL' the cats and dogs on everyone's Blog
posts...God Bless! x
And...Of course it's great to see you back, yours and Julies
post are two posts l really look forward to...such fun, and
great photos..! Thankyou once again for that...! :0)
And...Of course the weather has been bad over here in the
UK...five heatwaves in as many months, drought in two
thirds of the country, hose pipe bans...etc..etc...
Not good at all...It'll take some time to get back to normal....
we can but hope....! :(.
God bless you one and all Henny...lovely to have you back....! :O)x
❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️ ❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️
Oh Willie, that is so true. Eli's years seemed to fly past. Of course, my years seem to be going awfully fast too!! Thank you very much. I always look forward to and appreciate your comments. Hope you get some rain soon and we all get some relief from this terrible heat!
DeleteSo very sorry for your loss, Henny Penny. It's so difficult to lose a pet who is such an integral part of the family as Eli was. Yes, it's been hot here, too, and I'm so ready for some cooler weather. Glad to see you back to blogging!
ReplyDeleteSweet Martha Jane, thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I think we all are looking forward to Fall!!!
DeleteGodspeed over that Rainbow Bridge beautiful Eli, you were loved beyond words.
ReplyDeleteHugs Henny, so very sorry .
Jo
Thank you, Jo for your beautiful words. I've been awfully slack lately. Need to stop by visit your special blog.
DeleteWelcome back - so happy to see you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry about Eli. You loved him well and gave him the best life. I know he gave you lots of love in return.
It's been hot in Michigan too, but not as bad as what you've had.
Thank you, Mari. Yes, we miss our big Eli. He was very special. Seems like it has been extremely hot everywhere
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to see you post again, even with the very, very sad news about Eli. I think we all loved him. He had such a beautiful face, full of love. I can only imagine how much Ellie must be. missing him too. Animals feel grief just as we do. I remember when we lost our Annie, (dog). George, (cat) howled all. night long for weeks. The vet told us he was grieving Annie. They had grown up together as puppy and kitty and did everything together. It was the saddest thing. They definitely take a piece of our hearts with them as I know Eli did with you.
ReplyDeleteThe sunflowers are all very beautiful. I've just bought some throw pillow covers for the trailer with bees and sunflowers. We're starting our 6-7 week trip as of yesterday. It's nice to have it homey and comfy inside.
So glad you're back and hope to see. you again soon. I'll be praying for you, Poppy and Ellie.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, thank you! It is so good to hear from you. Oh we do miss Eli and Ellie misses him too. We can tell she listens for him and looks for him. It's so sad that she doesn't understand. How sad about your Annie and George. These animals are so smart, aren't they. I hope you and Dennis have a wonderful trip and enjoy every minute.
DeleteWhat a grand old dog. I can't believe it was 13 years. {{{hug}}}
ReplyDeleteThank you very much. I often think about your "Salt". He was such a wonderful dog.
DeleteOh, my heart goes out to you. So sorry for this love. It's heartbreaking, I know.
ReplyDeleteThank you! It really is heartbreaking. I appreciate your comment.
DeleteI am happy to know that you are still here, and very sad to know that Eli isn't. He was the sweetest and most beautiful dog. My condolences to his people.
ReplyDeleteLinda, thank you for your nice words about Eli and thank you for the welcome back. It's so good to hear from you.
DeleteI am so sorry for your loss of Eli...such a handsome doggy. I am sure you are heartbroken as is Ellie. 😢. Thank you for posting...you have been missed.
ReplyDeleteThank you. Eli was certainly special and we can tell that Ellie is missing him too. I appreciate being missed. Thank you again.
Deleteso sorry about Eli, I recall when you got him as a puppy. You took such good care of him through the years, he was a lucky puppy and you loved him so much. Hugs to you and Ellie too as I am sure she is missing her pal. Thank you for sharing your news with us.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Far Side. You know, I have thought about you so many times and how much you and Far Guy loved Chance. It is a hard thing to go through. I appreciate your comment.
DeleteOh I was so sad to read that Eli died. He was such a beautiful dog.
ReplyDeleteNice to see a post from you. You have been missed.
The sunflowers are so pretty.
Seems like all over has been so very hot except here where I live. We have a lovely cool summer. Lots of sun and rain. Our summers are more like one long spring!
Thank you, Karen. I appreciate being missed. Hope I can do better at blogging. I'm glad you have had a nice summer. I have always loved summertime but right now I am looking forward to Fall. :)
DeleteOh Melba, I am so sorry about Eli. I will miss seeing him here on Henny Penny Lane. I am a firm believer that God knows how much we love our pets and will allow them to meet us at the Pearly Gates! I am excited, though, to see your post! Our weather has been setting records, as well. We are in our third week of triple digits with no rain and none in sight. I keep reminding myself..."This too shall pass".
ReplyDeleteGrace & Peace
Pam
“This too shall pass”. Thank you Pam. I say that a lot too. Won’t Fall feel good! I sure hope we have a cool beautiful Fall!
ReplyDeleteOh friend - my heart breaks for you and Poppy over Eli. I know what it is like to lose a beloved fur baby. I am sure Ellie is missing him too. So glad you stopped to visit me and thank you for your prayers for my brother. Yes I would like to send you some rain. Your summer sounds like ours last year. This year is just the opposite. Praying next spring and summer is better. They say it is because of El-Nino - who knows except God! Have a blessed week and again I am so sorry about Eli. Hugs Debbie
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debbie. Hope you have a nice weekend.
DeleteI'm so sorry about Eli. That is a hurt that stays with you. God bless you all...
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debra. You are so right!
DeleteSo sorry about your beloved Eli. It takes a long while, if ever, to get over losing our furry friends. It has been a long hard summer here...and it's not over yet. We are still in triple digits every day. I have missed reading about your Henny Penny Lane , so was happy to find a new post.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mary. Those triple digits are almost unbearable! We have a week of 80s coming up, or so they say. I sure hope they are right. Got to get through storms predicted for tonight first though. :(
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so sorry about sweet Eli, Henny! He had a wonderful life with you. I know you miss him!
ReplyDeleteHenny, I am so sad to hear about Eli. It's heartbreaking to lose them. Our 13-year-old Sam went walk-about the other day and seems to have completely disappeared. We can't find a trace of him anywhere and can't stop worrying about him. In the meantime, we seem to have acquired two stray kittens. They didn't show up at the same time, but they seem to have decided to stay.
ReplyDeleteLife is full of ups and downs, isn't it?
So sorry to read this sad news about Eli. We lost our dog many years ago and it still hurts. Eli had a nice and happy life and you should be proud of that. Photos and happy memories, you'll have them forever. Take care and it was nice to see your comment today.
ReplyDeleteI am so heartbroken for you over losing your beautiful boy. I loved seeing him and hearing about his daily life with you.
ReplyDeleteHe was as a sweet gentle bear.
May God heal your heart.