Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2026

Mother Nature, Please!!

 Have you ever known such weather?? I mean, we had 80 degree days in February, and it began looking and sounding like spring! Oh, I couldn't have been happier, especially after going through two weeks of packed ice and frozen towels.  But winter was not over. February is supposed to be cold. Very cold!

Then comes March with more 80 degree days except there were three cold fronts which dropped temperatures down below freezing. Friday night, after a warm 78-degree beautiful day, we had a thunderstorm, a hard downpour of rain followed by another cold front. Woke up this morning to 29 degrees. Up and down! This is supposed to go down as the hottest March on record. 

This little Carolina Wren sits atop the old cupboard preaching about this crazy weather...


After starting her nest in three places that didn't work out, she settled on this old rusty kettle that set on the bench on the front porch...


Good nest building site but bad location. Smokey and the dogs spend time on this little porch. I'm afraid baby birds wouldn't last long there. So, we hooked a chain to the handle and lifted the old kettle little by little until it hung in a safe spot...

Moving the old pot didn't seem to bother her...


Hopefully, there will be baby birds and warm days again soon.

The Carolina Jasmine is blooming along the dirt path...


and is spreading right along...


Jasmine in the cedar tree. Oh, and while across the path I saw what looked like a snake...does it look like a snake to you?? Coming out of the ground??


Another eerie looking picture, or at least I think so. A vulture on our raggedy old pier, soaking in the warm sunshine...


Well, that's about it for me. Hope you all, friends, are doing well. I feel ashamed for complaining about the weather as things can always be worse. I've been playing up at the teeny tiny greenhouse and garden...raking leaves and making things pretty. Will save pictures for my next post.

Smokey and the Bunnies. :)  Waiting for breakfast...


afternoon snack of apple slices, kale, and a little carrot...


Thank you for stopping by. 

Love, Henny


30 comments:

  1. Henny, so good to see you. Precious says meow to Smokey. And she'd love to meet the bunnies especially with Easter next Sunday, so soon it seems. Especially after this awful winter. We have not had the high temps as you, but anytime it gets up above freezing a day or two, it just bottoms out into low 20's. That buzzard looked to be trying to warm up for a flight some where with better weather, lol. Hope you and Poppy have a great Easter Sunday. And the baby birds make it to fly high. Lynn and Precious xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Henny, for the bunny pic!! And Smokey! And love the one of the buzzard warming his wings! Also glad you moved the kettle for the little Wren... looks like a much safer spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It truly has been a very unusual weather pattern around here as well. It is actually very warm here today. I'm thinking with next Sunday being Easter, surely we are about to start hitting the days that many of us call the dreaded heat of Summer. that surely does look like a snake coming out of the ground...those things scare me! The little birds can build their nest in some of the oddest places and I must say inconvenient places. So happy to see your post today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see you again, Henny. This month has been unbelievable here in the St. Louis area, too. We've been up to 95 and 94 degrees on 2 days at my house already and freezing before and after, just like you have had. I love seeing the vulture soaking in the sun. When we lived in San Antonio we were next to a ranch which had huge electric towers going across it near the fence. Those towers would fill up with vultures sitting just like that one. There'd be dozens of them. We've finally gotten more into a pattern of spring weather and it's gorgeous. That jasmine is really pretty and I bet it smells great, too. I remember seeing some of your pictures in years past that showed the beautiful flowers you have by your house. Are you still sewing bonnets and aprons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been funny weather here in Michigan too - mostly cold though! But thunderstorms, hail, snow storms... I'm ready for nice weather.
    I love what you did with the kettle for the baby birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bunnies are sooo cute! I love bun buns. Our weather has been crazy as well-up here in NY. Today in the 50's but who knows about tomorrow? I still love your idea of towels on the ice and I'm going to remember that one. Hopefully we won't need it in April!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alternating freezing and warm weather sure is hard on plants. I hope you don't lose any.
    Yes, that sure looks like a snake to me. Someone saw a 6 footer at one of our regular walking trails so I'm going to keep an eye out for that one. I do NOT think garter snakes come that big!!
    Happy Easter to you and Poppy and the fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Spring! The weather is nuts all over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The month of March here in Georgia is always like riding a roller coaster, Henny Penny, so I can most definitely identify with what you've been going through where you live. That was the sweetest gesture you made so the Carolina Wren could feel safe in raising her young. I hope you can share photos when the babies hatch! May this Holy Week be a blessed one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your weather will warm up nicely soon, so all your beautiful flowers can bloom. I love the pictures of Smokey and the bunnies. So cute. Take good care Melba. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! The weather over here in the UK is much the same...
    Up and down...like a barmaids apron...? HeHe! :O).
    Though we've had four days of sunshine, but still very
    cold...to wet still for the garden, hopefully towards the
    end of the week, l shall get out there, and do a bit of
    pruning, the Virginia Creeper will be first...!

    Love all the wildlife photos Henny...HeHe! Especially
    the one of Smokey....Bless..!x
    And the wren, what a character, birds are certainly
    amazing creatures, at least you havn't got that vulture
    trying to nest in the kettle...! :O).
    And...Yes! That looks like a snake, coming out the ground,
    nothing dangerous l think...! Just passing through l think!

    We're just having the forth day of sunshine, though still
    very chilly, at least it's dry at long last, the clocks went
    forward an hour yesterday...! So much brighter in the evenings
    now.....roll on summer...! :O).
    ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ‡๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ†๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ† ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ‡๐Ÿงจ

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weather has been all over the place here too!!!
    Love that the bird chose the old kettle to build her nest!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wren in the kettle! It would make a perfect children’s story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same here. And even though we'll likely get snow again, the lawn could use a mow. Those frozen towels, I remember that from your last post. Happy Spring. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending warm thoughts your way.
    rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Henny,
    Our weather has been up and down as well. Yesterday I was cleaning out a few garden beds, it was misting. Then all of a sudden it started to rain little ice pellets.
    We are doing well. Thankfully all are healthy.
    Our Sam is still in the military, he has several friends deployed in Kuwait. At this time he is still here state side.
    Our Atticus is also doing well. He started a side business, fixing cars and selling them. :-)
    Sending love and hugs,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. This years weather has been crazy so far!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is good to be back making my rounds! My son tells me the snakes are out and about, so I'm watching for them. always ready to back up and away from anything that looks like one. :) I am glad that winter and faux winter are about out of here. Of course Mother Nature threw us a curve ball the other morning with a low of 39. What in the world? It's after Easter, and almost May!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Carolina wren built a nest in a friend's tractor. A working tractor, not a derelict. She was somewhat upset when he took off in the tractor but she followed him around and successfully raised the babies. There is a saying here (south central Missouri) "You can experience all four seasons in a day..."

    ReplyDelete
  20. At Rivercrest CottageMay 10, 2026 at 8:26 PM

    Hi Henny! This is Sharon from At Rivercrest Cottage. Good to see you are still blogging and Smokey is still around. I live in Illinois and Wisconsin (a long way from Texas and Rivercrest Cottage for sure). I’m married to a wonderful guy who I met online at Marriage Minded Seniors 3 years ago. Gerry was also widowed after 51 years of marriage! So glad we found each other. I’ll be checking in on you. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Henny, what a wild stretch of weather you’ve had! From 80 degrees to freezing in a blink — no wonder that little Carolina Wren is fussing. I loved the story of her trying out three nesting spots before settling on the old kettle, and how you gently lifted it to keep her babies safe. Your jasmine, the “snake,” the vulture on the pier… all of it felt like a little walk around your place. And Smokey and the bunnies waiting for breakfast made me smile. Thank you for sharing these glimpses of your days — they’re always such a comfort to read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Has anyone heard from Henny? I miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where is Henny? I sure do miss her and pray all is well with her, her hubby & family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have not heard from you in a while. Praying everything is good with you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melba are you allright? Worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Henny! Here we are right in the middle of summer! And yes weather is crazy everywhere! Did you end up having baby birds? Hope all is well with you? Please if you can let us know how you are doing? Sending hugs and love your way from a long time follower, Darlene from sunny Southern California ๐Ÿฅฐ

    ReplyDelete
  27. Henny, you may never see this comment as it's posted on your last March blog... but it's been 4 months and we miss you. Love the pictures of the bunnies... and the kitty... and all the others. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Miss Henny I hope all is well.
    Please drop us a few lines to
    Update us. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope all is well with you and all…it’s been a hot summer! Best wishes, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Melba, is this the last post that you made, from back in March? Are you allright? Have you gotten sick? I am praying for you and Dan, that everything is OK there, and that we will all see a new post from you soon. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.