Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Oasis in a hot garden

I'm going up to the teeny tiny garden as soon as I finish my cereal and take pictures. Not that the garden is all that great, but it is growing...



Got the idea from somewhere on the internet of turning old tomato cages up side down and and putting a flower pot on top to pull the legs together. 

The old tomato cages here are over the pepper plants. Does it look cute, or is it silly. I kinda like it. 

Would you believe, after months of too much rain...it is now dry as a bone around here. Well it is. The garden needs watering daily. Seems we jumped from winter right into the hot dry weather of summer.  

and speaking of hot dry weather...a little Oasis, right here in the garden...
actually, my thoughts were on the lizard and couple of frogs that lived in last year's garden and how I had placed a saucer of water under a squash plant for them. Water in a saucer didn't last long in the sun.

"Do you think you will ever grow up", Poppy often asks. "Well, no, I don't have any plans to". Why not make work more like having fun??

The half barrel is full of Bee Balm. Hope it blooms. We now have two wattle fences, yay! But, I've simply got to be done cutting small trees, and stay out of the woods. Ticks are terrible this year.

Hope there is room enough  for both the squash and zucchini in this corner.

and back up in yard...
Smokey, stretched out in the sun, against this snaky looking background, made a right pretty picture. Our birdbath has started leaking, so I'm using this antique bowl from the thrift store.

and the vine, the vine, the vine...
Have you ever seen anything grow like this chocolate vine has!! Oh, I should have taken a picture in early spring when it was covered in tiny white sweet smelling blooms. (I'm not showing off my pink wheelbarrow. It just happened to be sitting there). :) 

It was Lynn who told me about the Chocolate vine or Five Leaf Akebia several years ago. Info on line from NC State Extension says:

"It grows rapidly and can over take other shrubs and vegetation in the landscape if not kept in check. Flowers are followed by a large sausage shaped purple fruit which split open in the fall to reveal edible white flesh and tiny black seeds".



This huge healthy looking vine of ours has never grown any fruit, but the puny Chocolate vine that once grew on an arbor near the front porch did bear fruit once. Isn't that weird? I was afraid to taste it. :)

Well, that's about it. Hope you too are enjoying gardening and working outside. I'm just thankful for every day that I am able to work. 

Hope to be back real soon.

Love, 
Henny











26 comments:

  1. Just look how much your garden has grown in the past few weeks, it's amazing !
    I love the idea of turning the tomato cages upside down and putting a clay plant pot on top, it's very English-looking, I have the same cages, but a clay finial on top, I like the flower pot better.
    Your little oasis is the cutest idea, complete with rocks so whomever stops by to quench it's thirst can feel safe and not have to step too deep.
    Love seeing Smokey, he's having a little stretch :)
    I would love to have a chocolate vine over the arbor, but am afraid it would get away from me, and climb the arborvitaes ….
    Don't be getting to hot Henny, it feels like we are already in the middle of summertime !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks wonderful! I love seeing Smokey sunbathing - he looks relaxed and happy. Enjoy your garden and beautiful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, your garden IS BEATIFUL!! So many neat things growing, I love seeing them all! That big vine is amazing and I've never heard of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how everything is growing and looking so lovely in your garden. Too bad you have to water so much, it's a tedious job. The Chocolate vine is amazing. It sure grew fast!!
    I like the sweet little oasis you created for the frogs and lizards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gave us lots of charming gardening tips today. Tip for adding whimsy and wonderment to our gardens. As for growing up, I'm with you . . . It's not for me . . . I'm 73 years young and not about to retire to a rocking chair when I have a swing in the yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have indeed been working in the yard. The green house is now emptied out and almost everything is planted out somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing how tomatoes grow better upside down. And who figured that out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. HeHe! Growing up..my Dad used to say to me..
    "Trouble with you boy..is you've never grown up"..
    Used to upset me a bit, but when l got into my
    30's 40's l then took it as a compliment..And! No!
    l've still never grown up..'yer age is between yer
    ears'..I've loved my life..and always have..and always
    will..What was it that Monty Python used to say...
    'Always see the funny side of life'..! :o).

    And! And! The photos look lovely..Top two..Smokey of
    course..Bless! He's lying out there in the sun..probably
    thinking..'What can l kill to~day' HeHe! :).
    And! And! The pink wheelbarrow..love it! Love it! If it
    was mine..l'd never use it..frightened of getting it dirty! :).

    Nearly seven over here..busy day..must go and vote, it's the
    European elections to~day..market day in town, plumber coming
    this afternoon to see to my plumbing..AND! To cap it all, suns
    out and already quite warm..! Hallelujah! No rain!
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)

    Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Lyrics by Eric Idle
    (Humourous Funeral Music Lyrics)..

    Some things in life are bad,
    They can really make you mad,
    Other things just make you swear and curse,
    When you're chewing life's gristle,
    Don't grumble,
    Give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best.
    And...

    Always look on the bright side of life...

    Always look on the light side of life...
    (there is more..it's quite a long song).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden looks great. We are still getting rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Henny- Your Garden looks superb - despite the dryness. We're coming into water restrictions here in the metro area- our State of New South Wales is 95% declared drought....hope we cop some winter rains. All the best. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is lovely! I'm so jealous of all the good things you're going to have to eat. That's a cute idea about the tomato cages and flower pots. Why would you ever want to grow up? Jonathan and I always say we may get old, but we refuse to mature! Enjoy your yard and garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Henny,
    I love your garden.
    I like the tomato cage idea, fun.
    I like the chocolate vine. I wonder if it will grow in Wisconsin? Must not, because I have never seen it in our garden centers for sale.

    Do you use anything to help with the ticks? I absolutely hate wood ticks! I hate them more than snakes and spiders!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden looks so good! I am in awe of the beautiful vine too and like you, I am preparing myself for a long hot summer. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Henny such a delight to see your garden. I think you are much further along in the south...I am just now getting plants in the garden...your bean poles look great - planning on making about three for my garden too. Have a blessed weekend and P.S. just don't grow up - it isn't near as much fun! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pictures, Henny. And as for the chocolate vine, I'd have been afraid to taste the fruit too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It’s so dry here, too. Your garden looks beautiful and ours does too as we haven’t had any terribly hot weather yet. That will change tomorrow when it will be in the 90s for a good while. I think i would have to taste the fruit from the chocolate vine, just to see if that is how I t got its name!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything is looking great around your place. Does the chocolate vine smell like chocolate? I saw one this past week in SC and I really could not even get a hint of chocolate. Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend... Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shug. When the vine is in bloom it is the sweetest scent the fills the air. The scent is supposed to be like chocolate, but not to me. I'll take a good long smell next spring. :)

      Delete
  18. Why not make work more like having fun??
    That works for me!
    I love how your garden gets sun and shade both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Henny Penny. I moved to Taylors, SC, on Jan. 10, 2018. My wife, Carol, passed on last Jan. 11, 2019. stevecrain.blogspot.com and carolecrain.home.blog. There are accounts about her passing at those sites. You're still doing a wonderful job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Henny, your garden is so lush, and your veggie garden looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the flower pots on the tomato plants a great idea.
    Who wants to grow up anyway!! :)
    Haven't seen tics here but I did get bit by some jiggers. Oh boy do they itch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow your garden is growing fast! It isn't planting garden time here yet. Hope you have a good weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your little piece of paradise is looking more beautiful every day. And that chocolate vine has my attention. I'm wondering if it would do well on an arbor. I'll look that up. :-) "Hi Smokey" Annie and Wilson are jealous that you can hang out in Henny's yard and gardens. They are packing their stuff and leaving on the next train apparently. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your garden looks amazing, HP! And I love the idea of turning the tomato cages upside down -- I struggle with them so much, usually trying to put them over top of tomato plants that are already leggy. But upside down - they would do better! And the pots look cute. I really like those tall poles on your squash plants. A well-kept garden is a delight to behold. I don't do that well at all - Adam has to tend to it in this heat -- but i love looking at it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.