Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Is it a pumpkin?

Dumperoo (look at that little mouth) posing in red and gold. Makes a right pretty picture for my red blog, don't you think? :) I like the color red, if it's a dark rich red, but not so much for clothes. I rarely wear anything red. Red and gold are pretty colors in the cabin.

Got that trip to Henderson done yesterday, which pretty much used up the day. 


Looks like this volunteer vine has turned out to be a pumpkin. What do you think?





Peeping under the vine at the flower.


Citron Melon seeds from last year.

Remember the volunteer citron melon vine that grew up at the teeny tiny garden last summer? Volunteer, mind you!  Well that citron melon made delicious preserves so this year I actually sowed a few citron melon seeds around the fence at the garden. Not even one of those seeds have come up!


 Citron Melon


Citron Preserves

Guess there won't be any citron preserves made this summer. Well, unless my friend Nellie brings me one of her melons. Nellie stopped by last summer in her raggedy old truck. She had been in somebody's field pulling citron melons, with permission, of course. Nellie makes citron preserves too.

Need to go up to the teeny tiny garden this morning. Not much of a post here. Hope to be back soon.

Love,
Henny








12 comments:

  1. Tabbies often have such adorable faces. Love that Dumperoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dumperoo looks gorgeous between the red and gold pillows. He looks pretty well ensconced there. It does seem that it's hard to get a "bad" picture of most any cat! Just naturally photogenic I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red and gold backdrop make Dumperoo look very regal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of the type melon you talked about. Will have to find some and try it. Your garden looks great and not so small to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour red and in winter red and black are the colours I mostly wear. I was interested in your comment about citron seeds not coming up but yet you had volunteers that did. That is what happens when I sow Dill. If it comes up it is puny but volunteers grow amid my flowers everywhere and I'm having to pull some out because its everywhere. Funny, huh? In the Okanagan area they grow a very large, heritage citron called "Zucca". It weighs in between 60 and 100 pounds and is used for pickles (??), jelly and preserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look that up. I read that they flavoured and coloured it. I guess I can understand doing that in the war years, but can't see much use for it now. Would be fun to grow something that big though:) We camped at the Grist Mill one year, that is where the Zucca was brought back to the Okanagan.

      Delete
    2. I had to look that up. I read that they flavoured and coloured it. I guess I can understand doing that in the war years, but can't see much use for it now. Would be fun to grow something that big though:) We camped at the Grist Mill one year, that is where the Zucca was brought back to the Okanagan.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever heard of citrus melon, but the preserves look great. We have an orange tree that was a volunteer, no fruit yet, but rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Dumperoo's little face, he reminds me of my tabby cat Sydney....
    Looks like a pumpkin to me, at least so far....
    Citron melon preserves, I just bet they taste delicious !
    I love your red and gold colors so warm and inviting.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made it out into the garden yet today. It's hot and I'm resting after overdoing it yesterday. That and visiting my son Jake in the hospital. He shattered his ankle in a soccer game last night and is waiting for surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the color red, especially with the gold. The combination is warm and cozy and reminds me a little of Christmas. Dumperoo sure does look comfortable, too. I love melons, especially honey dew and watermelon, but I've never had a citron melon.

    I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny not one seed came up. Maybe you have to nick the seeds, or soak them, or something.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.