Pages

Friday, May 29, 2015

Clover and "Chicken Little"




We've got clover! I LOVE CLOVER! 

I have stepped on many a honey bee and got stung, from going barefoot in clover. We rarely see honey bees in clover now and what a shame.



This doesn't look like a lot of clover, but there IS clover and this is the first summer I've seen it here. It's coming up all around the house. Maybe it's because of the trees we've cut, letting in more sun.

When Poppy and I finally moved into our little cabin in the woods in 1989, about the only spot there was for a lawn was where the septic tank and lines had been installed, and that looked like packed clay. I wanted clover growing in what little space we did have. Poppy tilled and we sowed clover, but clover never grew. Now after all these years we've got clover.



I've been outside mowing today, trying to finish a job started the first of last week.  By Wednesday of last week that tick sickness had me feeling so bad I just had to quit on everything. This morning I took the last Doxycycline. Yay! 


Remember when "chicken little" hatched a week or so ago. 



Mom! mom! mama! look at me! 



Now, now, are you alright? I told you to stay off that wire.

Poppy should be here shortly, so I better get up from here. Not much of a post. Thank you...if you're still here. :)

Love,
Henny



My neighbor gave me the pretty lavender petunias. She had several baskets left over from her son's wedding. They fit here just right. Thank you Ann.




19 comments:

  1. I missed your last post. I'm glad those guineas were okay!! Chicken little is very daring. Probably causes his mama no end of worry, after all she only has the one chick. That hanging basket is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That chick keeps his mama busy. :)

      Delete
  2. I want to seed in some of the clover that gets the dark red flower on it! We see it here on the road sides some. I think that is just so pretty and I understand the bees love that clover too. Its a bit scary how we do not see the number of bees we used to. I keep hoping people will wake up and stop killing them with pesticides... well then there is the whole Monsanto GMO thing that is killing them as well... geesh...Glad your feeling better. Baby chicks are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you. I love that red clover too. We sowed it in the garden one year and it was really pretty. Yeah, people scare me with pesticides.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that you are feeling more like your old self. But don't do too much-----you work too hard and besides that makes everyone else feel like real loafers :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is easy to get too hot and tired trying to catch up. :)

      Delete
  4. Your ducks and chickens are so pretty! I love clover we have a lot of it in our yard. I would love the whole yard to be clover. We would love to start raising honey bees. Maybe before the summer is over.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you get bee hives. I'm not sure if Shelby and Jimmy are having any luck with theirs. Love you!

      Delete
  5. Recently our city of SeaTac put in some new sidewalks as part of street improvement. Then they seeded the area that had been disturbed by the construction. What came up was more clover than grass, and the clover is thriving where the grass won't. One woman who lives along this sidewalk pitched a fit. "You promised us grass and all we have is weeds!" I guess she doesn't think as highly of clover as you do. I think maybe a bee should sting her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine that! Clover is so pretty growing along a sidewalk. Yeah, a bee should sting her. :)

      Delete
  6. Always love seeing your yard and what's growing (animal and plant wise). Your pictures make my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes I wonder why anyone stops by. :)

      Delete
  7. Its always a delight to see what's going on in your garden. Love the hanging basket, a lovely gift. Take it easy over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you continue to get well. Here in UK clover is considered an invasive weed, and many gardeners use sprays and chemicals to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wean. Some people here hate it too. I could never spray chemicals on Clover!

      Delete
  9. I love clover, too. When I was a kid, it was everywhere and we went barefoot in it. Those bee stings always seemed to be between toes, where it's really tender. Nowadays, it seems that most everyone wants a yard full of 'weed-free' grass and considers clover a weed. I don't consider it a weed; it's a flower. We used to pick it with the stem as long as we could get it and tie them together to make necklaces. When we found red clover, we'd pluck the flower apart and suck the nectar out. It was like tubes of sweetness. I'm glad you've finished your medicine and hope it did the job so you feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Peg, I used to pick the flowers too and mama would join them together like a daisy chain. I remember how it felt to walk barefoot in clover. Glad you have these good memories of playing in clover. I've never tasted the red clover, but now I want to try growing it. Thank you. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  10. When I had Lymes I took 30 days of doxycycline...twice and it still didn't take care of it. I still have relapses where I hurt all over and I am exhausted. Darn ticks anyway:(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.