Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Traveling

In case you haven't noticed, I've been away for a few days.  On Monday I actually packed a few things, told Poppy and the animals around here goodbye and drove myself to Yorktown Virginia. You see, September 8th is my daughter Andee's birthday and September 14th is my birthday. We look forward to having a special day together to celebrate our birthdays...time to talk, have lunch together, laugh, and do a little shopping. We did all those things on Tuesday. I drove home on Wednesday. I loved having some time with Todd, Andee, and Madison. 

It was absolutely wonderful to get away...even for just a day. Going to Walmart two or three times a week has been my only outing in the last six months. That is pathetic!

Here in beautiful Yorktown and my only pictures are taken through the windshield of the car crossing the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel on I 664. The total length of this bridge/tunnel is 4.6 miles which makes me just a little nervous...



Notice the white Toyoto in front...that is Andee. How sweet is this...she drove from Yorktown down to Suffolk to meet me and I then followed her home. Andee knows me pretty well. It was comforting to know she was up there leading the way. 

Heading into the tunnel...



The bridge leads right down under the water into the tunnel...Wow!


Hope it is okay that I borrowed this picture from Pinterest.

Gosh, here it is 10:30...bedtime! Thank you for stopping by.

Love,
Henny Penny, world traveler!








24 comments:

  1. That is some system of bridge and tunnels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is kind of creepy. Kind of like The Pontchartrain bridge here. 24 miles. At one point you can't see land anywhere.
    Glad you had a happy, safe trip. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I do like to have a little land in sight. 24 miles!

      Delete
  3. Impressive system of bridge and tunnel. Happy belated birthday, always good to spend it with loved ones and create some wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bridge/tunnel would scare me half to death! I think you are very brave, plugging under. So nice you were able to have birthday fun with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a little scary too. It was a fun birthday trip.

      Delete
  5. That bridge /tunnel would scare the bejeebers out of me!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sure sign of a really good time is a lack of pictures.
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. I completely forgot about the camera in my pocket.

      Delete
  7. My goodness what an adventure. I can see why you would be a bit worried going over and under that! What piece of water is it traversing?

    Nice to get out of our ruts once in awhile but always good to get back home and find out how everyone has faired in our absence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an adventure for a homebody like me! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow what a bridge. That would be a little scary. I am so glad that you and Andee got to spend some time together. Happy Birthday to you! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. It was fun to be with Andee for a day. I love you!

      Delete
  9. I've been void of the internet over the past several days, but now all is well, and even though I'm late I wanted to wish you both a very Happy Birthday sweet ladies.
    There's nothing like spending alone time with your loved-ones, catching up, and endless hours of giggles.
    Your travels took you across some spectacular scenery, simply magical waterways.....
    I'm smiling at the thought of all the girlie talk and happy times you both had.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. Hours of giggles is right. It's like catching up, and everything is funny when we're together. It was a good break!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you were able to get away for a few days and spend some time with your daughter. We have a tunnel on part of the freeway that goes under a river. Not as impressive as yours, but I'm always glad when I pass the middle and am on my way up and out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed that break! It went by way too fast. Another day would have good. Me too, on the tunnel. I breath a sigh of relief on the way up and out.

      Delete
  11. I was on that bridge one time and turned back because I didn't want to go through the tunnel. Going under water just makes me really nervous. Thanks for showing it. Now I see how it works as I was just stumped from ground level.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated Happy Birthday! World traveler..good for you getting away:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.