Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Dinner, and a little critter update

Here's our little Thanksgiving meal...
it was just the two of us, so I  cooked small and didn't do any fancy table setting. Goodness, I could have at least sliced the turkey breast and put it on a platter before taking the picture. Not a very pretty Thanksgiving table, but it did taste good.


and here's Poppy heading back into the woods across the road, to sit in a tree. I offered to go sit in the tree for him if he would wash the dishes and walk Eli, but he said "no thanks".

Granny Marigold recently asked about all the critters, so here's a little critter update...

I am totally shocked at how fast a baby rabbit grows...


isn't she (or he) adorable? She still doesn't have a name. I call her little sweetie pie, but we've got a dozen little sweetie pies already. We need something special, and I just can't come up with one that fits.


Here's big old Bun Bun, little sweetie pie's papa. She doesn't favor him at all, does she?


then there's Fiona. Fiona does her own thing. In fact, she has been hard at work digging a tunnel. See her dirty little feet and nose? She has built a nice little storm shelter under her cage. 


Miss duck duck paddles along the bank with us when we walk. She seems lonely since her best friend Mrs. Muscovy is sitting on a few eggs on the other side of the pond. Crazy, I know.




Eli found a broken duck egg 


the babies decided to leave the heat lamp and sleep upstairs.


cozy little bunch.


and since going through molting, these hens have stopped laying. Not one egg have we found in the chicken house in two months. I've bought two dozen eggs lately. Probably the first store bought eggs we've used since moving here in 1989. 


and that sweet little Rosie. Why she has tried her best to eat every leaf that falls. See her there in the picture with the chickens...eating leaves! We had to close her up in the goat barn until I could rake the lot...

I will have to get a newer picture to show you just how fat she has gotten. She is obsessed with eating. Seriously! Wonder who she got that from? :)

We haven't seen Wilder lately. I do worry about him and hope he is safe in his own little rabbit hole somewhere. Weetie did go tearing off  after something a few nights ago when I went out to close the chicken house door.  It could have been him. Weetie like to chase rabbits and squirrels, but could never catch one.

Maybe I will sew a little tonight. Thank you for stopping by.

Love,
Henny












30 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting an update on all your animals. I like to hear about them. I'm so surprised the guineas left the warmth of the lamp for the "upstairs"
    Your Thanksgiving meal looks great. The pecan pie makes my mouth water! Now that Thanksgiving is over you can start working on Christmas. Do you mind both holidays being so close together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dinner looks to be just the right size------I always try to make too many things and then fuss and fuss because i can't fit them all into the oven so that things will be done at the same time and so am pretty aggravated by the time things are finally on the table. No room for the pumpkin pie but I guess that will keep till tomorrow.

    Hope Poppy gets a deer t. I'd love to have him come and shoot a few of the ones sauntering through my yard. There wouldn't be much sport in shooting them though, you can get within three or four feet of them and they just stand there and look at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had a "Just us two" Thanksgiving, and I don't really know how I would feel about it. But this year there were just seven of us, all adults, and it was very nice, so much less confusing than a house full of people, and kids running everywhere.
    I'm glad you had a lovely little dinner, and thanks for the updates on all the animal friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Thanksgiving table looks fine to me.
    I am glad you had a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the animal update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed hearing about all your critters. Those bunnies are all so cute! Rosie is sure growing - how old is she now? Your Thanksgiving dinner looks yummy, especially that pecan pie! My pecan pie didn't come out as good as usual this year. I used a larger pie plate and it just did not set well when cooking.

    Enjoy your weekend Henny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The animals at your little farm look to have a good life indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona looks like our Milo. He passed away a year or so ago. He was such a sweet rabbit too. I don't think anyone enjoys doing all those dishes either. This year we took the meal making off. It was totally the best year ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Thanksgiving meal looks very good indeed. It's not the quantity but the quality! : )
    Thanks for the update on all the animals.
    I bet you miss having your own eggs. Store bought eggs don't even compare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful post, my friend. Your Thanksgiving meal looked ever so delicious! And those sweet critters are just precious! When I was about 11 or 12-years old I signed up to do 4-H with a rabbit. Well, I fell in love with the rabbit, Snuffles was his name, and I never did go through 4-H-HA :) Ever since then my parents have had a pet rabbit. They live in the house and are potty-trained just like a cat. Anyway, seeing your cute rabbits brought a smile to my face :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, our older chickens have molted too, and are all grown back (I think), but still no eggs. I'm wondering if they'll be slackers for the whole winter! And only one of my younger hens is laying, so -- we had to buy grocery store eggs too. Ah well! I love how your ducklings went upstairs (lovely ladder!!) to snooze. Looks quite cozy on your farm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed the critter update, there were just the two of us for dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photo's, your thanks giving meal looks delicious :) can I ask how you cook your greens? they look lovely, wishing you a lovely weekend :) Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dinner looks delish! Pecan pie is my favorite! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dinner looks awesome! Your Rosie is one cute goat, good of her to help with the leaves:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dinner looks wonderful!! My husband loves pecan pie.
    Did Poppy get anything while hunting? In Wisconsin we have to wear blaze orange when we go out to hunt.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for showing us your clan. Interesting about the chickens. Will they lay eggs again? Could you educate us a little about what's going on with them?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing all your "critter" photo's, Eli is as handsome as ever and the baby bunny is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bunnies are so sweet and also Eli and little Rosie. How do you get anything else done after loving them and feeding and taking care of them! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's good to see all your furred and feathered friends doing so well. Maybe your should have a Name That Bunny contest and your readers could help you out. Your Thanksgiving dinner looks delicious but I think you should have made Poppy help you with the dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoyed the update...how about Buffy for the rabbit. I had one and named it clover. The girls had a Bailey and a Molly. Can't think of anything else. I still just adore Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwwwww. Bun bun!!!
    I love you mama,
    Your gur

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this update! Your little farm family..warms this heart on a cold morning! Love and all the best to you and yours, Henny--Love Terry

    ReplyDelete
  23. So, did he get his deer? Nothin' quite like a good deer roast. I used to leave a light in in the coop at night in the fall and winter and if my memory is correct, they did lay throughout the winter, but then again my memory ain't what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so loved your critter update! I am quite envious of the ducks. And, Mrs. Muscovy's sitting on eggs is such good news. It almost made me sad that your babies are growing up and now sleeping upstairs. How wonderful all your critters are! But, I like best that you volunteered to go sit in the tree. :~) I'm with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness all those sweet rabbits, way back when I had about four. Two white one and some floppy ear ones.. one white one got out and broke its leg, I paid four hundred dollars BECAUSE we loved her so much and it was my daughters pet.. she live quite a while inside in a huge box. Why aren't they laying eggs, those chickens.. lol... darn it.. Happy Holidays my dear, with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Thanksgiving dinner looked wonderful. Our company flew back home on Thanksgiving Day, so after a week of grandchildren we went home from the airport and flopped, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Henny - it was really nice to see everyone on this post tonight. I was wondering how that baby rabbit was doing. And I can't even imagine how cute Fiona would look digging her tunnel. lol Your little farm is a busy place these days. Looks like you had a nice Thanksgiving. I hope you are gearing up for Christmas now. I'll be wearing your apron to bake again this weekend. I love it so much. :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  28. AW.....I thought the dog was a Polar Bear at first .....haha...Great pics of your little critters. Food looks great also.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always liked the name Bramble, maybe a rabbit name ?;-) Also, is there a chance that Fiona might be expecting? She could be digging an underground den. When we had rabbits as kids, that is what the female did.
    Your food looks good! Thanks for the critter update!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.