Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

A few pickles and a stack of fabric



Tired out after a nice long walk around the pond in this hot July weather.

Happy 4th of July!!!

Like most holidays Poppy is working so we won't be doing anything special today. I kind of enjoy watching all the celebrating and fireworks on TV anyway.

Reading the words "sweet land of liberty" this morning reminded me of a funny story. Many years ago my first cousin came home from school and asked, "mama what is liver tea"? "I don't know", she said, "I've never heard of it, why"? "Because", said my cousin, "every morning we have to sing a song about sweet land of liver tea".

Yesterday, I made my one jar of pickles from the cucumbers off my one cucumber vine in the teeny tiny garden...


Actually, the pickles are not in the jar yet. I do not claim to be a pickle maker, but I do like this easy way to make myself a jar of pickles.

Slice and layer in a mixing bowl...cucumber, onion, garlic, and fresh dill.

Bring to a boil...two cups white vinegar, two cups water, one cup sugar, and three tablespoons of salt. Let mixture cool then pour over cucumbers. Cover bowl and put in refrigerator for three days. 

Pack in jar(s). Will keep in refrigerator for three weeks.



Our neighbor Ann stopped by a few minutes ago and gave me this stack of fabric. She surely did! I thanked her over and over and then said, "stay right there"! I ran inside, got two dozen eggs out of the refrigerator and put them in a bag, then ran them out to her. I mean, this is a lot of fabric! There are at least least four yards in some of the pieces! I am tickled to death over this fabric!

Need to get busy. While Ann was here, our other neighbors from down the path stopped by for a visit. Good to have nice neighbors! 

Love,
Henny







16 comments:

  1. Hey, you're a lucky girl! All that fabric landing in your lap for free. I loved that you ran and got your eggs as a way to pay back some of the kindness. Makes me think of when we were kids in the 50's as that's how most days went. My neighbor across the street just came over with a big tub of cut up watermelon. I will have to think of some way to fill up the tub before I take it back to her. Happy, happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story about "Sweet Liver Tea". Hope that you enjoy your fourth! Love you to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your celebration even just the enjoyment of watching it on TV can be as good. You certainly have a good neighbour, the fabric was a delight. The pickle recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fabric, lucky you, mind you what goes round comes round and I bet that you bring good luck upon yourself. My cucumbers will be ready to cut soon and I am going to make that pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree it is wonderful to have good neighbors. We are certainly blessed with them here. That was a lovely gift, she knows that you will put it all to good use. I enjoyed your story about sweet liver tea. It reminded me of a Sunday school student who when I asked what song would you like to sing? His hand went up and said that he wanted to sing the gravy song. The gravy song? I don't think I know that, can you sing it for us? He started out, "Up from the gravy arose". Every time we sing that song I think of him and that was thirty years ago, LOL.
    Happy 4th of July.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of refrigerator pickles but never tried making them. They sound easy enough to make. If I get enough green beans from my very teeny garden I will make pickled beans which I've made in the past and really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pickles sound good. I'm growing some lemon cucumbers, which are round and yellow and I guess, look a bit like lemons. I'll have to try something like your recipe.
    Score on the fabric, how nice! I'm sure I've had some of those patterns here, the top one looks very familiar, as do some of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got some things to celebrate even if it's a working holiday. I just don't recommend any "liver tea" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Henny! Or is it Penny?? LOL...thank you for visiting, your kind comment and being newest follower! I love the decor of your blog...roosters have been a favorite of mine since I was little girl! I do also love everything old fashioned too. I am in central NC...right smack dab in the middle. I hope you are enjoying your July 4th. Oh, and I am your newest follower as well! Have a great evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely stack of fabric your neighbor gave you! I think that was very nice of you to give her 2 dozen eggs and I am sure she was tickled pink. She got to rehome something she wasn't going to use and then wound up with 2 dozens eggs. :O)... A bargain for everyone! :O).... I keep a jar of cucumbers going too in the fridge till my vines stop making.. I love refrigerator pickles.. Course I think just about anything pickled is good :O). If Eli and Keeper ever met they would have so much fun playing together, plus they would think they were looking at themselves LOL as they so look a like ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I hate to think of you there all by your lonesome on the 4th but actually with all those animals you aren't quite all alone, are you?

    The pickle recipe sounds easy enough. I have a recipe for refrigerator sweet/hot pickles but it makes so many that I can't cut it down enough for just one person. They are just delicious and I can eat a whole small jar almost instantly but have no one to help me with a gallon of them.

    The material looks lovely. What a nice selection of colors. Such a nice neighbor to think of you that way. I bet you have nice neighbors mostly because you were a nice neighbor to begin with and they are just returning the favor. Good neighbors are sometimes hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could use a neighbor like that or like you, fresh eggs yum. I made pickles one year I was surprised how easy it was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good neighbors, indeed! That's a nice pile of fabric. Have a cooler Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great neighbors and I bet you will make some pretty aprons! Poor Eli he needs a pool! Your pickle recipe sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely fabric! Hope your 4th was a good one! We had a couple thunderstorms come through. That looks like a great recipe for dill pickles. Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great gift for you.
    I remember you posting about pickling Okra one time. So when I saw some seeds on offer, I bought them. They are about 4" high right now, they will have to stay in pots because my garden isn't suitable for planting in the ground, any advice on growing them ? I've never done it before.
    I thought even if I didn't get any fruit then I may have the lovely white flowers to enjoy.
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.