Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thinking of Fall

Guess what??  The rope for the tree swing has been ordered from Amazon and should be here any day!  I am so excited and will keep you posted.  Won't be long now!  I may soon be swinging out over the goat lot!




Don't you just love these crisp cool mornings!  Fall is such a pretty time of the year.  The leaves are not turning so much around here yet, but lots of leaves are falling, probably because of the long dry spell we've had.  I could actually start raking leaves now.  Just remembered this picture from last year...


The squirrels are busier than usual...fussing in the trees and scurrying about burying acorns and pieces of corn found in the yard.  Wonder if they are telling us we are in for a rough winter? Never have I seen them eat as many new pine cones...pieces are scattered up and down our rock path!

A few years back Poppy and I were working outside one spring day...we had raised beds back then.  Suddenly a small, young squirrel came running up to us and hopped up on the side of one of the beds.  Well, I ran for the front door thinking something was wrong with this squirrel and it would attack us.  Poppy reached down and picked it up, saying "Mel, come back, this squirrel won't hurt you".  To this day we have no idea where this squirrel came from, or who raised it, but we became the best of friends.  At night he slept in a little nest in a cage and early each morning I let him out.  He lived in the yard just like all the other squirrels, but he loved to play hide and seek with me and would actually frighten me when he would jump onto the tree I was hiding behind.  When I clapped, he would jump into my hands.  This went on for months then one day I stopped at the tree he was playing on, we played for a while, I held him, and saying to him that I needed to get busy, I put him back on the tree.  I never saw him again after that day, which broke my heart.  Remembering this makes me sad.  I get so attached to, and love these animals so much.
 



I suppose one of the most, "not so enjoyable" things that comes with fall...those stinking little green stink bugs.  How do so many find their way in?

Yuk!  Have you ever vacuumed up one of these bugs?  I have and the smell if awful!  It lingers!!   Nothing to do but change the vacuum bag!  I've heard that these green stink bugs like darker houses like a log cabin, and lady bugs move into white houses.  That reminds me of mama.  Lady bugs loved mama's house!!!  I don't know which caused mama more stress...lady bugs or squirrels!!! :)

Another sign of fall that I enjoy...those cute, "teddy bear" looking wooly worms.   Wooly worms amaze me crawling so fast.  I'm always seeing them crossing the highway.  I swerved the other day to avoid hitting one on my way to town, but may have hit it...I didn't look back to see....These cuties are probably more accurate at predicting the weather than most weathermen!!!  ;)  just kidding


After a bit of reading I found out that the wooly worm is the larval stage of the Isabella tiger moth.   As far as the wooly worm predicting the weather...when the brown bands on a wooly worm are narrow, it means a harsh winter.  The wider the brown band the milder the winter will be.  Lets try to remember that!!! :)

Didn't mean to ramble on so...thank you for stopping by.

Love,
Henny Penny


7 comments:

  1. Dear Henny,
    The last two days I couldn't leave a comment. I still don't know what the problem was....do you?

    Your swing sounds delightful. I saw a quote from Robert Louis Stevenson's stepdaughter today...."My dear Father....I picture him with arms outstretched, full of love and waiting to comfort me!'. Of course we love his very famous poem about the swing.

    I am remembering you and especially Poppy in my prayers.

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,

      Thank you. So good to hear from you. I don't know what has been wrong, but someone else said they could not leave a comment. Hopefully, the problem fixed itself! Thanks again.

      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  2. Henny Penny, I love the squirrel story. I use to have a pet squirrel and Randy pulled it out of his cage one day and hurt him but he still liked me. I use to love when daddy would tell me about his pet squirrel that he carried around in his front shirt pocket. He told me one time about the squirrel and grandma hanging up clothes. It has been so long since I have heard his story but I think grandma had been to the beauty shop and went out to get the clothes of the line and his squirrel jumped on her shoulder or something. I guess I should not be trying to tell it when I can not remember. I miss him so much. Oh well. Can not wait to see your tree swing.
    Love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vicki, I remember Jackie's squirrel and you are right. Mama was at the clothes line and the squirrel jumped from a tree and landed on her shoulder. Can't you just picture mama's reaction!! She was scared to death of animals! It is against the law to keep a pet squirrel now...but we sure loved that one. It used to chase Jackie and me inside the house. You could make a complete circle running through the house...kitchen, dining room, living room, down the hall, and back thru the kitchen. Don't you it drove mama crazy, us running and that squirrel after us! I love you very much too!

      Delete
  3. Hey Mama!! I love the little baby squirrel picture. I miss you and love you! Your gur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Henn- Love your squirrel story, I hope nothing got your baby. I have been away and just know how much sadness you have had lately! Here's to a better year coming up. I can't wait to see the swing, you will have to post pictures of you "swangin". Ok? Love and hugs to you - Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terry, I've missed you! The swing!!! Men!!! The first thing out of Poppy's mouth...Mel, you can't put a swing there! You should have asked me first! I'm going out this morning and throw that rope over that limb and build a swing!!! :) We'll see, course he usually winds up being right. As soon as I am "swangin" I will post a picture! Love, Henny

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.