Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Sunny Skies and a Swing


We had that beautiful Carolina blue sky Saturday morning so I hung a load of white clothes on the line to dry.   It just feels good to go outside and hang clothes on the line.  

When Lynn was a baby we traveled home from San Antonio, Texas to spend six weeks with mama and daddy here in North Carolina.  We were in the military and Lynn's dad was on a temporary duty assignment.  Anyway, it was winter time, a very cold winter.  I would wash and hang the clothes on the clothesline and the cloth diapers ("Birdseye" diapers) would freeze as soon as the air hit them.  Funny looking...stiff white squares pinned to the line!!


A beautiful morning!   The air feels fresh and cool! 


In a "not so long ago" post I talked about how I have always wanted a rope swing hanging from a tree limb, well I think this may the tree limb I've been looking for.  This limb is plenty big enough, but it is pretty high up.  It has been right over my head every day and I didn't even notice it!  For sure, Poppy will say, "we can't put a swing there"!  Listen, as soon as I buy the rope, I will let you know !  I have a perfect board for the seat.  I may be swinging out over the goat lot before too long!

The Guineas followed me to the pond earlier today...I wanted to feed the fish and try to get the catfish to come in close enough to get a picture.  There was a news story on TV recently about catfish eating tomatoes...those catfish would actually swim in close enough to eat the tomato from someone's hand.  Well it didn't work for me.  And, the catfish didn't eat the tomato pieces I threw in the water.  They did eat the fish food...Think I can tame these catfish??



Most of these catfish weigh around seven or eight pounds, or more and have in the pond since 1996.


Mr. and Mrs. Duck paddled in for a look...


 And this is Fiona leaving the scene...



Thanks for stopping by.   Need to go now...I'm going out to stand and stare at that tree limb and do some planning!!




Love,
Henny Penny

12 comments:

  1. Hey Henny - What a beautiful picture of the laundry on the line and those wonderful guinea birds. Now, for the catfish -- those are some long whiskers now. Long. Whiskers. My Dad when I went to live with him and my stepmother at 14, he used to go to the river and get catfish to put in the bath tub to scare us. I guess we were a strange family, but didn't feel that way. Ha! Well, I would just like to say that you must be a pretty wonderful woman to have a daughter like Lynn as I am sure she learned a lot of who she is from her mama. Enjoy your morning, Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terry, Thank you! I remember daddy catching a huge rock bass (I think that's what it was) and putting it in the bath tub. Mama baked it the next day though! :) Love, Henny

      Delete
  2. Dear Henny,
    Your swing sounds positively wonderful. Ah, yes. A swing. Put that on my list close by the Writing Cottage. Don't hold your breath, it's on my bucket list, not the active in-progress list.

    Guineas are so fun. I tried to photo my Uncle's guineas when I was there recently. They nervously scuttled off, murmuring and clucking amongst themselves. I did not succeed in capturing their playfulness. The goats, cows and chickens, all happy to be photographed, but not the guineas.

    We all lived through the first day of school. Mama, for one, is going to sleep like a rock tonight. :)

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jen,
    You are so funny...your bucket list! Lynn and I were talking yesterday about how we used to go shopping for new school clothes. It was such fun buying notebook paper, pencils, etc. just before school started. I miss those days.
    Love,
    Henny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Henny,
    Yes, it is a fun time, to be sure. Why not go stock up on some supplies for your craft cabinet? At pennies on the dollar, it is the time, and a perfectly justifiable splurge. On most Friday nights Sept through May, I get together with a handful of like minded Moms and we craft, so I freshened up the supply closet.

    As fresh horses were to the riders of the Pony Express, so are fresh paints, crayons and the like in the hands of Moms with creative energy to spare!

    P.S. I much prefer shopping art supplies to shopping for clothing with tweens!!! Help me, Jesus....
    P.S.2 I've decided that perhaps the Mom needs a few *new* to me duds too. Now if I could borrow Lynn for an afternoon or two in my closet to refashion a few things! :)

    Off to the races,
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen, That is a good idea. It would be fun to buy craft supplies. That might get me motivated to sew again and make more dolls. I have to drive to Raleigh to find a good craft store...we have only Walmart here...Sounds like you keep busy!!

      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  5. Here I am trying to be the president of the Standing and Staring club, and you've got people picturing me in diapers! I have an image to protect!!!

    JK. I love this post. That picture of the clothes is so pretty. That's a great big catfish!

    I love you, mama!!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Sorry Lynn. You were cute in those diapers though! Love you too, Mama

      Delete
  6. Is that your own 'personal' pond ? if so, how lucky you are ! I would definately persevere with those catfish, I would want to make them my pets !
    Oh I so miss my life in the country, but one day Henny, one day .................. !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wean, we do feel lucky to have the pond. We had it built in 1996. The grandchildren have enjoyed it. There is something special about living in the country. I hope you and your kitty cats get back to the country too. I still would love to live where you live!

      Delete
  7. Henny, I love the pond. I wish we could have ducks and laying hens. With the chicken houses this is not allowed because of disease. We do go over to Frank's dad pond but we have never feed the fish. How is the herb bed doing? I have got to find a way to keep my day busy like you. I wish I could sew but mom did not pass her skills of sewing to me, I think Cindy received that skill. I still love to hang clothes on the line to but my clothes line has found the shade for the summer time and I am a little lazy to LOL.

    Love you,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vicki, you are certainly not lazy!!! I always feel kind of down in August..I just can't get in to doing anything! It is too hot to work outside and summer is about over. Too late to start flower beds or things like that. I start wishing for fall and cooler weather and the holidays. February and August are my two 'feeling down' months! The little herb garden is okay. Nothing to brag about. I'll post another picture. I love you,

      Aunt Henny

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.