Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fling Fling

Had a suggestion from Andee...that we name this sweetie-pie "Fling Fling" :) (from Fiona Ling Ling)  any thoughts?  Andee calls me every morning on her drive to work!  We talk for about twenty minutes and cover everything from shoe size to the world's problems, and what needs to be done!!!  :)

It is hot and humid here again today, but all in all, we have had a very nice August.  I can't remember another August where it was in the 80's all month!  Well almost all month!

Not much to post about.  The herb garden, started much too late in the season, is trying to grow.  Certainly nothing to brag about...





The tiny patch of basil needs to be thinned.  The parsley is just coming through the ground, and that's mustard on the left...just happened to have a pack of mustard seed. :)  I do love this dragonfly that hangs around the herb garden...


Daddy used to call dragonflies, "snake doctors".  Poppy laughed when I called one a snake doctor.  Wikipedia says, "The Southern United States term "Snake Doctor" refers to a folk belief that dragonflies follow snakes around and stitch them back together if they are injured".    So, they are called "Snake Doctors"!  Turns out I'm right, for a change!!!



Tuesday, I spent the day with Shelby...my sister, the farmer.   Shelby had been wanting me to meet a friend of her's and see her amazing yard full of flowers.  So, that's what we did.  First let me show you a tree in her friend's yard...a black walnut tree.  This tree is 300 years old and the second largest black walnut tree in North Carolina.








Her yard and flowers were beautiful, and she was a very sweet and beautiful lady!  Meeting her and seeing her gardens made me want to come home and  start digging in the dirt!!





Thank you for stopping by.  Time for Poppy...better get busy.

Love,
Henny Penny


13 comments:

  1. Love Fling Fling's name. I love your posts, especially this one for the beautiful garden. It inspires me to want to get out and dig too. I really enjoy your blog and look forward to it as a bright spot in my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog to!! It is a beautiful garden and makes me want to work in the yard but I can not stand the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. It is the humidity that kills me too. I want to go outside this morning since that front came thru last night. It's 65 here!!

      Delete
  3. That picture of the arch is beautiful - it could be framed !
    I find it strange how you refer to a garden as a 'yard'
    here in UK a 'yard' is a concreted area with no soil/plants/trees etc., like a small car park !
    we certainly couldn't 'dig the yard' ha ha
    vive la difference eh ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wean that is so funny! I love hearing the difference in things like that!
      We do have brick yards here! :)

      Delete
  4. This is interesting isn't it ? so what do you call 'boot sales' ? I'm going to one shortly this morning, there'll be dozens, if not hundreds, of cars in a field, all selling from the boot 'trunk' ? of their cars and with a small table in front, do you have those ? I've heard 'yard sales' referred to from US friends, does that mean you can sell from your own 'yard'/front garden ?
    We can't do that here in UK, rules and regulations, health and safety won't let us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting isn't it ? so what do you call 'boot sales' ? I'm going to one shortly this morning, there'll be dozens, if not hundreds, of cars in a field, all selling from the boot 'trunk' ? of their cars and with a small table in front, do you have those ? I've heard 'yard sales' referred to from US friends, does that mean you can sell from your own 'yard'/front garden ?
    We can't do that here in UK, rules and regulations, health and safety won't let us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting! We have yard sales and garage sales...just tag everything you want to get rid of right there in your yard or garage, and put up a sign at the road! We have flea markets too. I had sales at a flea market every Friday and Saturday for two years,to make extra money. At these flea markets you can set up tables or sell from the 'trunk' of your car. Some people lay stuff all over their cars and also spread a cloth on the ground beside the car. A big new gas station and car wash was built in the lot where we had the flea market, which put a stop to our selling!

      Delete
  6. That must be great, just to be able to sell form your 'yard' or garage, some of the health and safety rules we have here are a joke ! you have to provide special parking, toilets, and have public liability insurance in case anyone trips and hurts themselves on your 'yard' and sues you !
    also if any accidents are caused by too many cars parked in the area - it's silly isn't it ?

    Another charming thing that has been stopped is to be allowed to sell surplus produce or flowers etc., by putting a sign in your window or garden gate, it was lovely to get fresh grown stuff for very little money, and the sellers used their 'profits' to buy next years seeds, but now you also need permission to do that and have to declare any 'earnings/profits' for tax purposes, so that's gone now sadly.
    I used to sell my chicken and duck eggs, but couldn't advertise, it was 'word of mouth', so if anyone came and asked for eggs, that was OK, but I couldn't advertise or put signs up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is way too many rules and regulations!! It is getting that way over here too. What kind of ducks did you have? I've never sold duck eggs.

      Delete
  7. Hey Henny! Love the garden pics, wow! What a tree! It is stunning...

    Whatever you call, Fiona, that is one beautiful duckling! Take care, I am at work, but as always, amazed at the beauty of our land! Love to you and yours - Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terry! Sorry you had to work today. You are probably home by now...have a good evening. It is raining here. Henny

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.