Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bedtime in the Chicken House





Getting the chickens settled in just before dark is almost as hard as getting children to bed at night.  Poppy says I've got them all spoiled and he is not catering to a bunch of chickens!!  But it's my routine!  In the afternoon I let the chickens out to free range.  Just before dark they wander back into the chicken lot and begin flying up to their favorite spots on the roost.  Occasionally, a hen will decide she wants another hen's spot and an argument starts.
 
 The little black hen (the real Henny Penny that the sky almost fell on) wants the entire bottom roost for herself, which is fine, except the other hens need to use the bottom roost to get up to the second roost and she doesn't like them using her roost for a step ladder.  She stands guard and pecks each hen as they fly up.

The hen that roosts in the goat lot is the most stubborn of hens!!!  She flies out and then at bedtime waits for me to open the gate and let her back in!!  But she won't go in...she looks at me and walks off....I walk away and she goes back to the gate wanting in!  This goes on and on...Fried chicken has crossed my mind!!! :) Poppy shakes his head and goes inside!!!


After getting them all settled in, I head back to the house and see Fiona Ling Ling waddling up...with the other ducks not far behind.  I've learned to always carry a bucket of feed with me.  I feed Fiona and stand guard while she eats.  The old male won't let her eat with the others, so I'm thinking now that Fiona is a male.  




"Bickett" likes to play rough but then hides under the stool for protection...



Funny, I hadn't noticed how dusty and beat up these stools look until seeing this picture...the bar needs some furniture polish too.  Better get out the dust rag before going outside tomorrow.  UPS delivered the green garden fence today so I will be anxious to get busy with that.


Not much of a post.  Thank you if you're still here.  Poppy wants the computer, so I will say good night!!!

Love,
Henny Penny

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this cute post, Henny - I guess our dear Fiona is a boy? Oh well, he won't mind. Thanks for posting the on the cuteness of chickens, it is nice to know that all kinds of creatures are contrary, not just us. Thanks for thinking I am always cheerful, it has been a rough go lately and I am happy to be cheered by friends and your blog, as sometimes lately it has been a "tough row to hoe". Have a good day, wish I was there - Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have the sweetest comments. Hope you're having a good day today!! Wish you were here too!!
      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  2. oh I do miss my chickens.
    I will have some more, in the not too distant future, when I've moved on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wean, I didn't realize you used to have chickens. They are fun but can be a lot of work at times!
      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  3. Dear Henny,
    Just back from an extended trip. While gone I visited my Uncle's lovely ranch where there were lots of pretty chickens. Of course I thought of you! Fiona may have to have a *new* moniker, like Fred, for example. Years ago as a child I had a friend whose Grandpa let her name her horse. She named it Dolly Jo, only to realize it was a male. So she renamed it Jolly Joe instead. Funny, I hadn't thought of that in years.
    Some fried okra and green tomatoes sound very tasty about now. I'll have to see about that. :0
    I need to get out and tame my garden out front which became more than slightly unruly in my absence. A man's work is from sun to sun, but a woman's work....yes, I'm old school. Your comment about Poppy not catching you sitting always brings a smile. My mom and Grammy shared the same ethic.
    Good to go, good to get back. Better get with the program getting things washed up and put back.
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,

      Sounds like a good vacation, I would love to visit a ranch! I really did miss you!!! Love the story of Dolly Jo, too! Glad you're back!

      Love,
      Henny

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.