Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Sugar and Lemon Balm

I have taken on a major overhaul here, with, of all things, my diet!!!  After reading and hearing so much about the magic effects of totally leaving off sugar, I decided to give it a try!!   I did not know that sugar was added to just about everything until I started reading the ingredients listed on packaged foods!!!  This is day three of sugar-free for me!  I want to see if all the stories are true.  This is taking a lot of thought...being used to coming inside hot and thirsty and grabbing a glass of lemonade or sweet ice tea, my favorites!!!  And, I don't like artificial sweeteners!!!  This is truly going to be a challenge.  I will keep you posted as to how long I can do this, and also as to how fabulous I am beginning to look!! :)  Ten to fifteen pounds should magically drop from my mid section!!  Yeah right!! 

Seriously, I would love to lose 10 pounds.  I am not a fat person, but have ALWAYS wanted to be able to tuck my blouse into my skirt and look comfortable, and slim...not look like a pillow with a rope tied around the middle!!!  Sorry I don't have a picture to post for this one!!!  Was it the Duchess of Windsor who said, "A woman can't be too rich or too thin"?

About the Lemon Balm...this is Lemon Balm...

 And this...


And this...


All this Lemon Balm came from one tiny pot that I bought at a gardening center a couple of years ago.  It is all over the yard.  It smells really good when I mow it down.  Problem is...Lemon Balm is coming up in the vegetable garden.  I pull every tiny sprig I find.   The garden is a good distance from where I planted the first lemon balm.   I believe lemon balm is in the mint family??   Just a gardening tip, (learned the hard way), like mint, lemon balm should probably be planted in a container and then put in the ground.

I don't know how I got this tiny print!!!  Me and computers!!!  At this point, the tiny print will have to stay!!!.
It is raining SO HARD!!!!  There is 4 inches in the rain gauge since last night!

Sorry for such a post.  Thank you kindly for stopping by.

Love,
Henny Penny

4 comments:

  1. Dear Henny,
    I have heard amazing things about going off the sugar too. You'll have to be sure and post from time to time about how that's going for you.
    As I was reading about your lemon balm and looking at the picture, I thought, 'Oh, wow! Look how nicely that's spread!' (it didn't occur to me that could be anything but positive!)
    I enjoy all things lemon. Recently I planted the seeds out of a lemon, and they grew nicely into some lovely lemon scented grass. I was so pleased, and then the squirrels ate it. Phoo!

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,

      Those darn squirrels!! Poppy threatens to shoot them all, but I won't let him. I had no idea how lemon balm would spread...it does smell good!! I need to post something about the sugar!! Thank you Jen.

      Love,
      Henny

      Delete
  2. Good morning again, Henny - I love that lemon balm! I had a tiny patch and it died, but I know where I will be going to get some, haha! I bet it smells heavily but who knew it would go so - that's a very happy plant.

    I just wanted to ask if you mulch your garden heavily? Is that a good way to garden? I know it is really more humid there than here in the mountains, but right now, we are rotting away with way too much rain. Way too much. I love your bonnets and aprons, you ought to sell them in Lynn's shop. We are maybe hopefully heading back to wearing aprons around the house and yard, I hope! Have a happy Sunday, I am so proud of you going sugar-free. I am not there yet, I have got off chocolate candy at least, but I have a long way to go. Have a great week, and thanks for keeping this blog up for us to enjoy! Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terry,

      Thank you. I will give you all the lemon balm you want!! I do put a lot of mulch in the garden. Not right up around the plants so much, but pretty heavy between the rows. I just hate chopping grass. It seems like by doing this, I have less and less grass and weeds every year. It does making pulling soil up around the plants harder to do. We had pretty much dried out from all the rain and actually needed a shower on the garden. Then instead of a shower, we got 5 inches!!! Now this week supposed to get 1-3 inches more. I'll probably have mushrooms growing in the garden. All of 2013 so far has been unusual weather, don't you think?

      You have a good week too!

      Love
      Henny Penny

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.