Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gardening and old furniture

This garden!!!...is far from being the best looking one I've ever seen, but I think it is beginning to grow!!!  Even the wattle fence, as mama used to say, "such as it is"...has a few pole beans climbing on it!!  I took pictures..not because it looks good, but because it looks a little better than it did...



Next spring I want to try building a better wattle fence.  This was my first try.  I want to take more time in gathering maple saplings.  The vertical pieces stuck into the ground are weak and wobbly.  It is the weaving that makes the wattle fence strong.  It was fun playing with this small one.

Every time I walk up on the front steps, I admire the antique kitchen furniture.  My cousin Pat gave us these beautiful old pieces.   I've mentioned Pat in a couple of previous posts.  Pat is my first and second cousin...Her mom and my mom are sisters.  Her dad and my dad are first cousins.   Pat and her husband bought a very large, old home in the country when their three children were small, many years ago.  Pat and I are the same age...Anyway, this old cupboard, table and chairs were in this old home.  The cupboard was built by a doctor during the time of the Civil War...



I love love love these old pieces and worry because we have it all on our small covered front porch.  Keeps me busy dusting and polishing.  I've just bought a can of Johnson's paste wax.  This might give the wood more protection.  My dream is to enclose the front porch half way up with old wide boards and install old windows around the top half.  Then add an old timey pot-bellied wood stove on one end.  Can't you just imagine having breakfast out there on a cold winter's morning...Poppy's response to my idea...alright, you come up with the money and we'll do it!! :)

I would love to bring this furniture inside but don't have enough room...I'm telling you...we need that front porch enclosed!!! :)  Poppy is always saying..."Mel, WHEN are we going to stop changing things and just maintain what we have??"  That sounds so boring!!  Don't you think??


This is our small dining area, which is just a corner of the open kitchen, living room area.  The entire house is under 1200 sq. ft., including both porches.  I like small...it's like a playhouse! :)  Sometimes I wonder about myself!!!

Time surely does fly when you're having fun!!!  I've got to leave this computer and do some work!!  Poppy never catches me sitting down...what horror!!!  That comes from mama too.  Mama used to say, "your daddy's coming in, you children get  up and get busy doing something!!"

Love,
Henny Penny 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Henny,
    There is a harmony that prevails when one's abode reflects one's authentic self so truly. Your cabin is just such a statement. It's a joy and delight!

    Your furniture is so well appointed to the space. When we get ready to build our cabin, I'll be calling on you for ideas.

    Your garden is quite a bit further along than mine. Then again, I think there are three zones between us. My peonies are just now making buds. :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen,

      Thank you! Again, such a nice comment. Goodness! Three zones between us! No wonder your snow stayed around so long! :) Aren't peonies beautiful!! The peonies here just don't last long enough. These may not get enough sun...

      Love,
      Henny Penny

      Delete
  2. Morning Henny! I have been away but checking in, you have a lovely lovely abode! I am so envious of your beautiful cabinet. I have always wanted a pie safe so I keep looking. I think your wood will hold up, as these pieces look pretty good to me. I think it is wonderful! Makes me want to come down there and crawl up on the porch with a good book, but I have a feeling, you'd put me to work! Love Terry (I also sometimes use my given name, Therese here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terry,

      Makes me laugh to think about putting you to work here. I promise not to, and you can sit and read all you want. Pictures make thing appear so beautiful...thank goodness all the dust and dirt don't show up!!

      Love,
      Henny

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.