Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2018

This, that and the other

This silly frog holds down the lid on the old washing machine tub where I keep the potting soil. 

Never thought of taking his picture until I placed the flower on his head. Poppy brought home a couple of these wild lilies with the bulb still attached so I could try growing them. He was turkey hunting and came upon a big patch of these lilies.


I suppose this little fellow was waiting for a lily for his head.


Peonies, a few days ago.

Peonies before the storm Thursday evening. The wind and rain messed them up a bit, but still pretty.


Never seen an Iris grow this tall.

Iris near the front porch.

Last week, after picking strawberries, Shelby and went in a thrift store. I was tickled to find this old apron...



It's very dainty and beautiful, and look at the ties with lace on the ends.


for $1.00 and it was in the bottom of a box of old aprons.

Speaking of aprons, this one has been made for weeks now. I finished it and forgot about it. ..

Another cross back. I'm still loving the cross back aprons, but those with a ruffle need some ironing after being washed. :(

I stitched on a little embroidery thread to make the pockets stand out. 

You know how cousin Pat is always sending me something, well this time it's a pretty butterfly bag...
with lots of pockets all around. She also sent the cutest dish towel...



with a little chicken family stitched on the end. Reminds me of the baby chicks that are hatching here. We have three so far with another hen sitting on two eggs. 

We really don't need more chickens, but these hens are bound and determined to hatch an egg. Tired of arguing with them, I gave in and gave each of them two eggs to sit on. Things have quietened down considerably in the chicken house.

Pardon the sink full of dirty dishes...


But there's hardly room for both of us!

Thank you for looking in.

Love,
Henny




18 comments:

  1. Only $1.00?? That's beautiful.

    That is the biggest dog I've ever seen. Or the smallest bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post again!! Your flowers are lovely especially that Peony. Wow!
    Do your Iris fall over when those tall spikes bloom? Mine do and I'm trying to tie them to stakes. I want DH to get me some thin Rebar in 40 inch lengths... I think that should work better than the sticks I now use.
    I love the new Butterfly bag. I have a 'thing' about bags and own way too many but can't part with them. Also with us all being urged to use reusable bags my are very handy.
    Lastly I wanted to wish you a Happy Mothers Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Henny, I so look forward to your posts, and seeing all the pretty flowers and ideas around the farm.
    Those Iris are tall indeed, maybe they are reaching for the sun ....lol
    I love the dainty little lace apron, so very feminine, wouldn't it be perfect to host a bridal tea !
    Eli continues to grow, is he hot ?
    Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow, I hope you have a lovely day.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely post . . . your Peonies are beautiful. Mine have six buds, but they haven't opened yet. I am so happy that they made it through the winter. I never could get them to grow at our old house.
    Here's wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute picture of Eli! I would love to just cuddle him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eli does seem to take the whole kitchen up. My old dog would spend a little time in ours as her spot was in the hallway and the kitchen led to the backdoor. She never spent much time in the kitchen though, I do remember her knocking down a plate of hot dogs and other stuff that my mom left on the oven so she could eat it herself. Clever dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Eli's going to take up all that space, you should put him to work in the kitchen . I bet he could learn to cook really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the peonies I have white but I would love Red or Pink. Happy Mothers Day to you!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a good variety of plants in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers sure are growing fast! I think I like your apron creations better than the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun post! so many pretty things, and Eli!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My peonies are still to show colour on the buds. There are lots of wild Iris growing in the low lying spots around here, they like the damp soil. The yellow ones grow really tall, much taller than the ones in my garden. I love lilies but have none in the garden , I get a few cats passing through and the lilies are quite deadly to them.That apron is so dainty, just the thing for a maid to serve afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow a $1 for that beautiful apron, what a great find. Your apron make was also impressive, love the fabric. As always a joy to see Eli laid out in all his glory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I know what an old washing machine looks like, but the lid Mr. Frog is on seems like the lid of a garbage can and not what I think an old-fashioned washer lid looks like.
    I own a dainty white lace apron similar to your 1$ find. Except mine has a bib(?)as well as a skirt-- I'm not sure that is the correct word for it? I bought mine at a thrift store, too, though I can't remember for how much. I doubt it was more than 5$.
    I keep it boxed away because I don't have a mannequin to display it on... But now I want to pull it out and check the ties for lace on them. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your property and all the plants and flowers looks so wonderful... and so peaceful. And wow! Eli does take up the whole kitchen floor! Our 3 cats lay in front of the AGA on our kitchen floor so I imagine that you are used to stepping over Eli as we are of stepping over and around the cats. I look forward to seeing pictures of the baby chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sister would love that chicken towel. I'm always giving her chicken things. And the little frog in the lilies -- so cute. The other day I reached in the shed and put my hand around the hoe handle and something damp and cold went squish. Fortunately I hadn't grabbed a tight hold because a little green tree frog jumped indignantly off the back of the hoe handle and onto the shelf and looked none the worse for wear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the aprons, Henny! I think of you when I see old aprons, I wish people still wore them. I like them over clothes in the garden, for the pockets and to store little things. I love the picture of Eli, he is tuckered out there! Happy Spring! Terry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why, look at that pretty kitchen rug ... oops!! It's a puppy :) He's so lovely. That apron you found is just gorgeous. It's amazing what's hiding in bins at the thrift stores these days. You folks must be a few weeks behind us in bloom times b/c our irises have been gone a while. Your peonies!! I'm jealous. I really need to get some peonies. I think they're my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.