Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

FIVE MINUTE BLIZZARD

Okay, you're going to laugh at my picture, and the tale of the blizzard that hit Henny Penny Lane on Saturday...

but let me explain. It was the weirdest thing! Most of you know how afraid I am of thunderstorms. 

Well, weatherwise, Saturday was very strange..we had rain, we had a little sun, we had wind and we had rolling dark clouds...supposedly it was fairing up and turning cold.

Around 3:30, Poppy looked out across the cutover and said, "Mel, if you're going to feed the bunnies and give the goats hay, you'd better go. The clouds look terrible".

I looked out the front door and said, "nah, those are fairing up clouds. That's what mama always called them".

Anyhow, I got my coat and boots, and bucket of feed. Gave each of the goats hay, pushed the wheelbarrow under the edge of the porch, drew a bucket of water and headed to the bunny lot.

The 10' x 10' bunny lot has a heavy duty canvas roof and also three sides covered with tarps that can be rolled up or let down, depending on the weather. All tarps were down, so the rabbits and I were pretty well enclosed, and unaware of how dark the sky had become...

when suddenly there was a BOOM of THUNDER followed immediately by BLOWING SLEET mixed with snow...my hands trembling, (that was lightning and thunder, mind you!) I grabbed both buckets, somehow managed to close and lock the gate, then tried to run for the house...thinking "DAN, WHERE ARE YOU!!!  SUDDENLY, THERE WAS DAN!! I absolutely could not run! Dan grabbed one of the buckets and my hand, and we ran, him pulling me along, uphill, facing the wind with what felt like shivers of glass hitting us in the face!


I know, this is North Carolina and I've never been through a blizzard in my whole life...but this was really freaky. It lasted about five minutes...long enough for me to grab the camera...


That's the rabbit lot way down past the little red shed. See the canvas top? So now, you all have my permission to laugh. We both laughed when it was over. Poppy saw the streak of lightning just before I heard the boom of thunder...He knew I would be scared to death, so came to rescue me. :) Bless his heart!

Better get going. Andee will be here soon. Nothing makes me any happier than to have a daughter come visit.  

Is that Smokey at the door?

Why yes! My sweetest boy!

Love,
Henny



33 comments:

  1. What a wild weather moment! Glad you and Poppy made it in the house so quick. I am afraid of lightening and it
    sounds like yours was much too close. I love seeing Smokey at the door. Only the eyes give him away. And now
    you'll have a cheery visit with your daughter. Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa! Bless! Well..you said we could laugh..! :).
    As l was reading it, l could visualise the story
    before reading it..Goodness! How terrible!
    And..ALL that wind..l bet the chickens were worried,
    especially if they had been laying, God knows where
    the eggs would finish up..! Back up the......Bless! :o(.

    Ah! Bless! Smokey at the door..he's probably thinking..
    'What's all the fuss about'...! :).

    On the other hand..it might be Gods way of saying
    goodbye to you know who..leaving the White House...!
    Reminding him...who actually is God..! :o).
    HeHe! "And the lord said unto Moses....Come forth,
    come forth..and he came fifth and lost his beer money"..
    🙏 🐾 😽 💞 🙏 🐾 😽 💞 🙏 🐾 😽 💞 🙏 🐾 😽 💞

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading about your little adventure and see the pictures!
    I know it was easier to read about it than to experience it -wink wink- but now you have stories to tell!
    So neat. What is the vine on the arbor that stays green all winter???
    ~ Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim Cantori(?) on the weather channel is always hoping for "thunder now." Sometimes, he gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henny, glad it only lasted five minutes. That WAS weird. Seems like a lot of weird things have been happening lately. And it was great for Dan to go out to get you! Love Smokey's pic at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that's all it was and that you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought all the strange happenings were over now that 2020 is done with! Please tell me 2021 is not going to be more of the same! That was some strange weather. It was sweet of Dan to come rescue you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! What an adventure you had. Now, that weather isn't unusual here, but I imagine not normal at all for you. How wonderful that Dan ran to rescue you. Smokey is such a sweetheart isn't he? His eyes are beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lightening and thunder and snow/sleet together just seem weird, but we have had it once or twice. So nice of Poppy to come out to rescue you though. Glad it was over quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I wanted to add that we get the same view of Bella peering in the same back door when she has been out after dark!

      Delete
  10. That really was a wild weather moment, so glad Poppy was there to help you get back. Sounds quite frightening, glad all is well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That weather cell was a violent one - thunder snow! I'm glad your gallant husband came to your rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate to rain on your party but blizzards can last for days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least it was over with almost before it began. Nice Poppy came to your rescue though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crazy weather! Glad it was short lived and Poppy came to rescue you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw Henny, that was such a cute story. I'm glad your hubby rescued you. What weird weather huh? And then you had a visit from a daughter....how fun. I just love that last picture of Smokey looking out! He's gotten so nice and big. Hope your weather calms down for a bit! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why that loud thunder and sudden storm would have scared anyone! Thank goodness Poppy rescued you! I have seen what we call "thunder snow" here a few times but not much.
    I love that picture of Smokey peeking out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have been just as frightened as you were! How thoughtful of your man to come to your rescue.
    I hope you and Andee had a great visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poppy to the Rescue! You may be interested to know Henny that My Partner Chris is afraid of Lightning and Storms and usually hides in my Bedroom with the curtains closed and the light on...I think Chris may have been caught in a Storm when younger and has been terrified ever since...it has always been the same. Glad you and Poppy are safe there. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my....I would have come out of my skin. I don't like thunder and sure don't like lightning. glad he was there to rescue you and to help you get to the house. Lots of crazy weather lately...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I felt like I was right there with you. Great writing:) You have a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm happy you are ok-and that your man was there to rescue you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you survived unscathed! Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crazy times, crazy weather I think! Away down here in SOUTH Carolina we are having an especially warm winter. We will pay in mosquitoes next summer! Ugh. Glad you survived your “blizzard” and did not even have to lift a shovel!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That does sound freakie, weird....I hate that you are that terrified. And glad Dan came to your rescue. But seems like we all have something we are terrified of.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a strange, and frightening, weather event. How thoughtful and kind that hubby came and rescued you :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, that was different than you are used to and came up really fast! I don't blame you for being scared! Your husband is your knight in shining armor!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my, what a crazy weather day for you. I loved how your sweetheart came to the rescue, that is the best part of the story.
    Love, Carla

    P.S. your crazy weather came here.. Wednesday morning I woke to -2 degrees. Wednesday evening it was 35 degrees. Today we had March winds. CrAzY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You had snow thunder!! Nothing to be afraid of...glad you are safe:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an experience! It always amazing me how fast the weather can change and bring in the unexpected. Glad that your husband came to help you back to the house, and that all ended up being well! Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is so romantic! Poppy was really your Prince Charming and gallant knight all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness, I felt your terror! Glad your husband came to help rescue you! I have always been wary of lightning . My grandmother was struck twice in her lifetime from it and hear her story always made me afraid of it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. What excitement! Sounds like that lightening hit was pretty close to you. Glad you had a rescuer :) There was snow at my house, but I'm not there right now, since I'm at my daughter's for her baby coming.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.