Pages

Friday, June 7, 2019

Look! It really is pink!

With the Leek's nightcap removed all the teeny tiny flowers have opened in a soft shade of pink...
and in the garden this morning there were the tiniest little bees working in and out of each little flower. Looks like all I got a picture of was the small beetle.

and let me show you our first gathering from the teeny tiny garden...
I know, I know, most gardeners would be showing a bushel basket of potatoes but I'm proud as can be of this little dishpan full. Why when these potatoes were planted back in April, Poppy said the ground was too wet and that the potatoes would probably rot.

We are lucky too, to have gathered any yellow squash or zucchini. As soon as the plants began to bloom, those sneaking ugly squash bugs arrived in town. 

Have you ever dealt with squash bugs? Sometimes I think those things are part human. As soon as they see you they hide behind a leaf or down near the ground and then sneak around, looking at you from their hiding place. The best way to get rid of them is to carry a container of soapy water, pick the bugs off and drop them in. Of course, then I feel sorry for them.

anyhow... 
got my workbasket cleaned out once again. Still think this is one of my best ideas ever...course you know how simple minded I am. Little things make me happy. The word "little" makes me happy.  But really...

everything I could possibly need, working outside is in this old basket, or soon will be. Poppy has a drawer full of old reading glasses he used before getting his prescription pair that he wears all the time now. A couple pairs of those glasses are going into the workbasket to help me read labels and find squash bugs. 

also in the basket, underneath those new pink gardening gloves I am showing off are more clean gloves and several folded bandannas, there's a plastic bag with nails, screws, and staples, and a bag full of plant markers, a pen and pencil, a knife and two pairs of scissors, a hammer and a hand saw, wire cutters and small pruners. Oh yeah, a hair clip, a little mirror, twine and pieces of wire, and usually a piece or two of bubble gum. Guess that's about it. 

Recently, Poppy and I started walking Eli and Weetie all the way to the end of our dirt road, up to the highway. It's a fun walk. The dogs enjoy it too.

Well, this dirt road we live on has been here many many years and used to be called "the old motor grader road", long before we ever moved here. Anyhow, seems like every day we walk, Poppy will spot a piece of old rusty metal buried in the red clay road. With his pocket knife he scratches around and well, has come up with all this...

Pretty neat, isn't it. Wish we would find a chunk of gold. 

Boy, I'm really wound up today. Must be the rain. The weather folks say we could end up with three and a half inches rain by Monday, and I was just telling you how dry it is.

You've probably checked out by now, but if not, thank you. Hope to be back here soon.

Love,
Henny

(Willie, you were right about the pink flowering leek) :) 




23 comments:

  1. WOW the leek is so pretty. I wished we had veggies, but I think we will in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a stash of metal there! Those taters look like a pretty good haul to me. Hoping to be relocated by next spring so we can put in a garden like yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice produce already. Plants just starting got grow around my way.
    I love those little red potatoes roasted!!
    Quite a find of metal you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That leek sure makes a pretty flower. And your veggies look great! As for as the metal finds... it looks like something you would find and share on the Detectorists where they do their metal detecting and then share their finds. Maybe not gold, but interesting just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Produce already! Ours are a long way off.
    Your baskets are a good idea, but you have me wondering how you will be using some of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine the basket will save a lot of time that otherwise would be spent looking for what you need. I tend to do just that, along with tracking mud and dirt everywhere I go! I think that's a nice first crop from your little garden. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew Leeks had such pretty blooms!!
    I like your handy gardening basket; I have a sort of gardening apron that has various pockets and loops but so far I've been too lazy to use it.
    You have potatoes and zucchini and cucumbers!! Wow! Now with the rain everything will be growing even faster. We had a downpour today such as I've rarely seen. My Peonies are in tatters and the Poppies too. Oh well, I won't have to do any watering for a while, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New new potatoes are my favorite. I would steal to get some. Nothing like right out of the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog Henny....your vegetables look mighty fine to me....and aren't those tiny pink flowers pretty! Good for you folks for walking....I should do more of it myself. I don't have a dog to walk with but I could drag my husband out there!!! Have a great, if wet, weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW! What a lovely 'pink' post..HeHe! Bless! :).
    As l've said, never seen a leek flower, let alone
    a pink one..amazing! Certainly going to look into
    them, for next year! Wonder if they'd make a nice
    'buttonhole'....! :).

    And the potato's are lovely to..think you'll find
    their 'Desiree' potato's..about the best potato
    for roasting..! Very starchy!

    Oh! Oh! Pink gardening cloves..l have two identical
    pairs in a kitchen draw..had them years..never use
    them..don't want to get them dirty! :o). 'Willie'!

    We've had a downpour yesterday..brighter this morning,
    though rain later..tomorrow the sun will be back, so
    the weather lady says...!

    Still early over here..going back to bed with me lemon
    tea, watch the news..and get depressed..HeHe! :).
    Pop into town later, can't let the day go buy, without
    being rude to a few people..HaHa! Well..l'm known for
    it...."He who laughs last, laughs longest" Bless! :o).
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´ ´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful haul from your garden, those potatoes look so tasty. A great idea to have a garden basket, it is something I do too saving me the walk backwards and forwards to/from the house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that flowering leek is so pretty..it resembles the Alium I have in my wee gardern. I suppose they are in the same family. But mine didn't have that neat covering. What a pretty shade of pink. I think your garden bounty is outstanding, I would be tickled pink to have planted taters, and then to harvest some. They are such a pretty color. Like the "little" workbasket. I like to carry things around in baskets, I keep my crochet thread and current project in a basket. Just like Caroline Ingalls...it is a simple but lovely joy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your potatoes are beautiful! They are perfect. Your garden basket is such a good idea, and I need to kit one up too. I keep gloves/trowel/clippers on my back porch, and another set in the greenhouse (b/c it's so far away from the house and I tired of trotting back for things). But your basket is MUCH better, and you mention so many things I regularly need! I also try to keep old plastic bags/ziploc bags in my pockets b/c I always need them in the garden to pick a little produce. I have an apron on the back porch that is just for chicken/garden use, with 3 pockets in front. There's a lot TO this gardening!
    Poppy's metal looks fascinating. He should open up a tiny "Old Motor Grader" Museum for his very old age. He can clean up all the parts, identify and tag them, and lay them out for people to come view. Wouldn't that be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The gardener basket is a great idea and your little harvest looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That leek bloom is absolutely stunning! I love the red potatoes and these are beauties...would like to try my luck with potatoes on day. I have a basket just like yours and it does make the perfect vessel for all of your tools and other goodies! Enjoy the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A small dishpan of gorgeous potatoes is easier to eat than a bushel basket full. :)

    Nothing wrong with simple. It's often better than complicated. :)

    Free scrap metal to sell to a recycler when you have collected a nice bit. Nothing wrong with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is an excellent idea with the basket of tools/things you might need. Looks like treasure your Poppy has dug up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am new to your blog and glad I found it. The leek bloom I have not seen before. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Henny, I loved seeing your garden goodies. I would be proud to grow a potato. LOL. your hubby should make a nice collage of the metal pieces. Very interesting. Blessings to you both, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’ve never been able to foil the squash bugs. Too sneaky and eventually they win. We are picking tomatoes, cakes, and sweet banana peppers from our garden, and 5 lbs of blueberries from our neighbor’s patch this weekend. Those are tucked away in the freezer for the winter and we plan to pick more if the rain Ever Stops!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah Hennie your wonderful posts always make me smile. You are a gal after my own heart with your basket of outdoor tools. Wow you have zucchini and squash already. My plants are growing but it will probably be July before I harvest any. In the meantime keep enjoying this lovely month of June. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Try dusting your squash bugs with DE - diatomaceous earth. Its non toxic to humans, but is toxic to bugs. I use it on those big black ants when they come in my house. After they carry enough back to their nest we are free of them until the next season. Love all the pictures you post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, mama, I love this post!! I can just see you gardening, with bubble gum. ha ha ha I love you so much. I am going to have to see you soon. I need a hug and to see your beautiful face. I love you! ~Your most troublesome child

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.