Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

It's me again

Been in the garden again this morning! I can't seem to stay out of the garden these days, so I have decided to wait until this winter to clean house again.  :) 

The lint balls blowing off the ceiling fans will just have blow a while longer. 



Early morning and the leek is removing it's night cap, or that's what it looks like to me. Isn't it neat?

Last summer Lowes had their garden plants on sale including leeks. I know nothing about leeks but bought a six pack and planted them. The plants never amounted to much so when the garden was cleaned up last fall I threw them out...except for this one that was missed...
This leek has grown and grown and attached itself to my heart. It's so pretty! I'm keeping this one, as long as it lives.


and those six foot tall lilies towering above the bird bath are blooming. 

and a patch of wild yarrow growing in the front yard...
Summer of 2017 I bought a pot of Yarrow, set it out in the herb garden and it died. The wild will do just as well.

Oh, and this is the little leaf cucumber planted in the half barrel...

and this will be our first cucumber. Did you know that Poppy hates cucumber? He sure does. 

and speaking of Poppy. Sunday was a nice quiet day so Poppy thought he might fish a little, maybe catch a big fish from our teeny tiny pond...


instead he caught a teeny tiny fish...
poor little fish. It was not injured and is now back in the pond swimming with the big fish. 

here's Eli...
this is where he stands to see down the dirt road. Sometimes I put my arm around him and we stand there together, especially at night when he sees something in the woods or hears a strange noise. Scary things in the woods, you know. Last night it was tiny little flying squirrels eating at the bird feeder. Poppy got the spotlight and we saw them.

Guess that's about it for this time, Oops! the stir-fry broccoli...


see the tiny broccoli heads. We've had the broccoli twice already, in stir-fry.

Thank you friends, and thank you to a new follower, Chi Chi Mum from North Carolina. Yay! 

Also, I appreciate the comments on my last post, and glad several of you warned me about the pretty plant 'Spiderwort' being invasive. Like you, I'm planning to keep it anyhow. 

Willie, meant to tell you, that frog on the playhouse wall is not real. :) 

Debbie, I do sell some of those plants that I have rooted, but mostly I give them away.

and Deb, no, I did not know there were so many kinds of blueberry bushes. I will Google that and try to find the ones that grow here.

Hope to be back soon.

Love,
Henny 










28 comments:

  1. Ha, had to chuckle at Poppy's fish. That is usually what I catch. :-)
    The gardens are beautiful.
    And cucumbers are my very favorite.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks so wonderful! I am doing a container garden this year..........it is looking good so far! What a beautiful color in that lily! I love the whimsical "nightcap" of your leek. I think leeks are suppose to be wonderful for soup. Have fun with it. Your sweet dog.......such a cutie! Well.......at least the fish are biting! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Poppy- I don't like cucumbers---or rather, they don't like me! Your plants look great and I guess I have never seen a leek plant before! I thought it was an allium-they look kind of similar. Love how it sheds its cap!
    Have fun gardening. Wish I had a place to garden this year! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your gardens look wonderful, Henny!! I hear you about the things that go bump in the night....I just posted about my bear visit this morning, woke me with quite a start, I'll tell you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried slicing them into vinegar? That's my favorite way to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Leek picture! Only you would think of it as it taking off its night cap but that is exactly what it is looking like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melba, Your garden looks amazing, but then you have a way with plants and animals, they thrive just being around you :) I'm with you, house work takes second place to any and all of my outdoor chores. Nice weather is for being outside :)
    Have a sweet day, my friend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks beautiful and I have never seen a leek growing in garden. May have to plant one myself next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty flowers! Love seeing your garden and ESPECIALLY gorgeous Eli!! His coat is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The leek is really cool. I've never seen one growing!
    Everything looks wonderful at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's such a bother to have to clean house when there's the big ole outside world to get out and enjoy. I love this time of year, and can't wait to get out every morning to see what has bloomed since the day before. I used to do that in my night gown, but these days, I dress before even going to the kitchen. Your garden pictures are such a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, can't believe how pretty your garden is. As for your hubby not liking cucumbers, that just leaves more for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha! I thought you had wrapped something around a flower or something. I don't think I've ever seen a leek 'unveiling' itself! Your garden and flowers are doing so well! Those beautiful, tall pink Lilies are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure that I mentioned that my husband's family owns a huge Pecan Nursery....the nursery is over 85 years old, and my husband is the manager of operations. He grows blueberry plants and out of all the different varieties, he grows 4. There are 5 major varieties but many different cultivars. I sure love all the gardening going on around your place..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks just beautiful! My husband doesn't like cucumbers either but I love them. I like to make cucumber sandwiches. I have never seen flying squirrels but I have heard of them. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HeHe! Well..Here we are..ALL behind again..
    Of course it's morning over in the UK..Nearly
    seven..first lemon tea of the day..! :).
    Oh! The lilies are lovely to..though in Italy,
    especially Sicily the lily, the white lily is
    the flower used mostly in death..funerals etc..

    And! Wow! That leek is amazing, never seen one
    like that before, gonna Google it later and read
    up on it..very impressed with that! Wonder if we
    have them over here..I know who we do have over
    here..Your president..!!! :(.
    Less said the better! He's off to Ireland to~day,
    then you can have him back..! :).

    Eli looks lovely, even from the back, still can't
    think how he keeps so clean and white..looks a
    bit of a ghost..!
    So Poppy put the fish back, none of the pussy~cats
    saw it then, tell Poppy! A bigger hook might help,
    but then, what do l know about fishing, l just enjoy
    the end product..on a plate! :).

    Must get on..smarten me self up, for a trip to town,
    bathroom visit first..breakfast...Goodness!
    To much information! :). Love that Leek...! :).
    ☕🍰☕🍰☕ ☕🍰☕🍰☕ ☕🍰☕🍰☕ ☕🍰☕🍰☕ ☕🍰☕🍰☕

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden is looking wonderful dear Henny Penny. I especially love your pond area.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love stir fry. I make a chicken teriyaki with homemade teriyaki sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well...I've just been reading up on leeks...
    Mostly about the flowering of them..very
    interesting, also found this...
    When leeks go to seed, it is normally due to being exposed to optimal
    temperatures followed by cold temperatures. In other words, a leek
    flowering is due to cold weather, not warm weather. When a leek flowers,
    it causes the neck or lower stem of the leek to become woody and tough
    and the leek will become bitter....

    I love leeks..Fried leeks and onions in butter and olive oil is lovely!
    Oh! And garlic of course..I tend to have lots of garlic, being Sicilian,
    it's in the blood..and good for the blood of course..! And! Garlic, makes
    it save to go out at 'night'...HeHe! ❀ヅ❤♫

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!

    Is that the kind of leek that can be eaten?

    ReplyDelete
  21. That leek is so neat, I've never seen that. Nature is a wonder. We are having a downpoor right now, thunder and all. Doing so inside homework today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your yard and garden look great! And you're already eating some vegetables? I'm so jealous. I can't believe Poppy doesn't like cucumbers. I love them! But not those huge seedy things from the grocery store. Maybe there will be some at the farmers market soon. Can't wait for fresh vegetable season!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am with you friend - now is not the time to clean house - the garden just has to come first :)! Love that
    Eli - he certainly is beautiful. As for Poppy and cucumbers - my hubby doesn't like them either. Me I could eat one every day from the garden. Well take care - going to go back and read your previous post. Spiderwort is invasive by the way but if you like a bit of wild look to the garden - it is just perfect. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the leek with it's nightcap! Also the pond... and the tiny fish... and the garden pics! Thanks for sharing, Henny.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There is always so much going on at your house, Henny! I don’t know how you ever have time to dust. And who cares about dust? I’m glad you weren’t counting on that teeny tiny fish for your dinner. I think you are very lucky to have flying squirrels because I have always wanted to see one. We just have the big voracious kind that eat up all the bird food. I just love the photo of the leek with the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful garden and a joy to see Eli surveying his kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cucumbers in a pot are inspirational...nothing better than a fresh garden cucumber. It tastes so much more flavorful than those from the store...enjoy the "fruit of your labor"..beautiful flowers and doggie, too. :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.