Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

More busy days!

Don't know why there has been so much going on lately but I can't seem to catch up.  As mama would say, the days just simply fly! Poppy was off work so went into town and bought a few groceries and picked up his new eye glasses. Late afternoon, Shelby and Jimmy came and we finished loading their truck and trailer with firewood from the back yard.

Remember the Lasagna gardening project I started last summer? I had outlined the spot with cinder blocks...yuk! Cinder blocks! Looks like another good place to get rid of some pine logs! 



The hens love it and constantly have to be shooed out. Now, however, the sides are high enough so their scratching is not throwing everything out! I want to plant something that will bloom pretty by the post where the hens are but haven't decided what. Any suggestions?


Seems like with every post lately, I've had a bit of bad news. Since the start of 2014, we have lost "Fiona Ling Ling", the young male duck; old Mr. Duck; the dwarf guinea; and this morning old Mrs. Duck was dead. All except the guinea, were killed by a predator during the night. It broke my heart again this morning. Poppy and I talked and have decided to get another big dog. As long as we had a big dog or two in the yard, we never lost animals to predators. So, it's time for that big lovable Lab!

The duck that grew up thinking she was a chicken is all alone now. We also plan to find her another mate. Her tail looks like an electric fan...



For several hours yesterday there was a pair of Wood Ducks swimming on the pond. We put up a new duck box and are hoping the pair will come back. The box is on the edge of the pond facing the water. Spring is right around the corner!! :)



The sun was shining so warm and pretty on the porch yesterday...couldn't resist taking a picture. I am so ready for warm weather...



Friends, I hope you haven't given up on me. I've missed you all, and so very much appreciate your nice comments. I am looking forward to bright colorful cheerful spring photos...flowers, birds, butterflies!!!

Love,
Henny Penny

10 comments:

  1. Hey Henny!!!! I am so happy that you posted blog tonight. I had just messaged Lynn earlier to make sure you were not sick or that I did not make you mad after I had talked with you on the phone. I would just die if I ever hurt your feelings. I love you so much and I love keeping up with you on our blogs. Then I realized I have not posted a blog in 5 days either, so I decided to post one to. Great minds think a like. Love you and so sorry to hear about your ducks and guineas getting killed by predators. I want a lab to. Well my comment is going to be as long as a post if I don't hush!

    Love Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you said to me, I could never be mad at you! Do you think we are alike or what? I love you Vicki! I don't where the days go. No wonder I am getting old so quick! :) Love Henny

      Delete
  2. Perhaps something vine like for that post...Morning Glories? Sorry about all your animal losses, someone stopped by that was hungry:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Morning Glories would be pretty! Yes, we need a big dog in the yard.

      Delete
  3. Dear Henny, I am so sorry about your pet losses, but maybe Mrs, Duck missed Mr. Duck too much. I am so sorry about too about the dwarf guinea, you know you don't have them long they wont grow. I am, however, really happy and excited about you getting a big dog! That will help ease your pain. I miss checking on you every day, but I have to say I was a bit unsettled this morning but I am really loving your porch, that makes my heart glad to see something that pretty. Planting times are heading our way, I hope I will have enough time and money to have a small garden. XO Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry. Planting time is just around the corner. Remember all the rain last spring? We thought is would never let up. I need to grow some pretty green beans this summer to can. I have one quart left on the shelf. Nothing did good last year. Hope you have a big pretty garden! Love, Henny

      Delete
  4. That's exciting...butterflies,flowers and a dog!
    I'm looking forward to seeing all of them.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your porch looks so inviting. The perfect place for confidences shared on a sunny afternoon. :-) I too do not like the look of cinder blocks, but the logs look sweet. Like Far Side of Fifty, I was thinking morning glories.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.