Pages

Friday, July 6, 2018

Around Henny Penny Lane

It's been dry as a bone around here lately. The rain clouds seem to fizzle out before reaching our little patch of real estate.



Last night, however, well at the edge of dark, we had just started to eat supper when it thundered real loud. I jumped up and looked out the window...not because of being afraid, no, not this time! I jumped for joy. 

After the thunder, then came the rain...and it poured! Simply poured! Leaving an inch and a half in the rain gauge before moving on. 


So this morning there was fog on the pond.


and fog up at the playhouse.


and did you notice those puny looking stargazer lilies flopped over in the birdbath?There go my big plans for beautiful lilies growing all around the birdbath. I give up. First it's red lilies with six foot stalks, and now it's little spindly stargazer lily stems that can't support the bloom. That's okay. What difference does it make? 

Maybe I should move on and show you what the teeny tiny garden is giving us...


and this...

and see those two eggplants...well once again I made "Baked Eggplant Parmesan" and once again Poppy and I came close to a big argument. Mark my word, eggplant parmesan is going to be the end of our marriage yet.  Poppy says his mom always fried eggplant...why did I have to make something fancy like eggplant parmesan? :(

So, I can understand an argument after my first try at making eggplant parmesan, a few years ago. You see, it was a very difficult recipe...one that called for fried eggplant slices...oh, it was mess! I was hot and tired and mad at the recipe and then for it to not even taste good! 

Anyhow, would you just look at this...

Oh my gosh, it was delicious! That mozzarella cheese! and the eggplant slices are dipped in egg, rolled in Italian bread crumbs and baked until crispy...before putting them into the casserole. He ate a small serving without any comment. Me? I finished off a good size square from one corner of the pan. :) 

Okay, moving on out of the kitchen...


the pond is taking on that nice dark "July" color, which is so much prettier than that winter muddy look.

Guess I'm about done here. Thank you, well, if you're still here. 

Oh, a special "thank you" to my new follower Lisa. Thank you Lisa.

Love,
Henny 

Oh, and before I get into any trouble here...I am kidding about my marriage breaking up over eggplant parmesan. :)

24 comments:

  1. Your pond is beautiful!

    That eggplant parmesan looks good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the wee bird, Henny. You did your best, I'm sure. That eggplant parmesan looks scrumpdillyishus. I would have dug into another corner. :)
    We are finally out of our heat-wave and enjoying the outdoors again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eggplant parmesan and yours looks amazing. Wish I was there. Please share your recipe.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. the eggplant parmesan looks good. Poppy is dumb. ;)

    Sorry about the star-gazers. I had 3. They were gorgeous the first year. Each of the next 2 years got sadder and sadder looking. bah.

    Congrats on the rain. I've forgotten what rain is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The West needs rain. We have been mostly dry for a long time, and big patches of the west are burning up, literally.
    Your casserole looks good. Baking is so much less messy and greasy that frying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but that eggplant casserole looks like something I would love... and my DH would detest. Just like Poppy.
    Sorry about the disappointing Stargazer Lilies. It's disheartening to wait and wait until something blooms then it flops. The veg. part of the teeny garden is doing amazing obviously. So nice that you got some much needed rain too. I like the picture of the fog over the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think eggplant is one of those things people either love or hate. I'm one of the ones who love it. I do fry the breaded slices of eggplant though. Ken is Italian and that is how his family always made it. He taught me how to make it when we were first married.
    I think your eggplant looks delicious.
    Glad you finally got a good amount of rain. We seem to get a good mix of sun and rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine what Poppy would find wrong with that lovely looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great garden produce. And I don't grow eggplants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Henny Penny Lane looks so beautiful! I love the foggy day photos! We have been getting rain this week too, which has put both of us in better humors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got rain. Your Eggplant looks great, hope it tasted good too! Men sometimes are resistant to change:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about being so joyful at seeing rain. A few years ago we had a summer like that and I still remember how happy we were when the rain came. It's looking beautiful there, even with lilies falling over. (Ours are doing the same thing...)
    I knew you were kidding about your marriage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your eggplant dish looks delicious! I would take a hefty serving :) At first I thought it was a blueberry cobbler of some sort - yummy :) Your property looks enchanting in the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have planted an egg plant I am hoping to harvest some. I am planning on making egg plant parmesan I think it will be good. It has been really dry here to. Glad you all got some rain we have gotten some here to . I am not sure it will help I think it is supposed to be hot again next week!
    Love you bunches

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gone seven in the morning here..!
    Suns out already and quite hot..temperature
    still up in the 30's. Won't be here long,
    after seeing and talking of all your food...
    The Mozzarella cheese looks lovely, one thing
    l am famous for is my Pasta Inforno..That is
    to die for..though no one has yet...! HeHe! :).
    Oh! And, by the way..always give Melanzane....
    (eggplant)..a little soak in cold water before
    frying, 15~20mins will do..!
    And did you know...
    The word Melanzane (or Melanzana) derives from
    the words Mela Insana, meaning "noxious apple".
    It is often pronounced "Moolinyan" and written as
    such...
    And... The origin of the dish comes from my home
    in the Southern region of Sicily..!x
    Another lovely dish from Sicily is Pepperonate..
    Made from Peppers, tomatoes and grapes...Give it
    a Google...! :).

    Well..'There it is' time for a second lemon tea...
    breakfast out on the patio..then a wander into
    town..coffee in Costa..trip around the charity
    shops..then back home, relax and wait on the
    football later this afternoon...
    HeHe! Thankyou for having me...."Keep it Funky".
    ≈(චᆽච)≈

    ReplyDelete
  16. Supper looks delicious! We have desperately needed rain and got some a day ago. It made a difference in the heat wave. You are getting some wonderful produce from your garden already! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  17. The baked egg plant looks very good. My husband eats any thing with a layer of cheese. I had egg plant once as a youngster, reminder me a fried green tomatoes. Yuck. I love the way eggplant is so shiny and pretty , but I do not buy it. Sure would have no idea how to grow it. :) So happy you got a good rain. We had a rain on Thursday, also needed. Oh I loved Willie's comment. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  18. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of eggplant but that does look scrumptious, and, it may make all the difference to grow your own? I love the photos of your property, if I lived there I would never want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That eggplant parmesan looks delicious, even to one who doesn't like eggplant. Poppy should give his tastebuds a chance to expand their range.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love, love, love eggplant! Your harvest looks wonderful.
    And as always, I love seeing photos of your neck of the woods.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tried making Eggplant Parm just once and with all the frying first, it was a mess. Would like
    to try your method as it sure looks good. Lovely veggies from your garden!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was just thinking...How about an Eggplant story....
    Two Eggplants.....
    One day two eggplants, who were best friends, were walking together
    down the street. They stepped off the curb and a speeding car came
    around the Eggplanter and ran one of them over. The uninjured eggplant
    called 911 and helped his injured friend as best he was able.
    The injured eggplant was taken to emergency at the hospital and rushed
    into surgery. After a long and agonizing wait, the doctor finally appeared.
    He told the uninjured eggplant, "I have good news, and I have bad news.
    The good news is that your friend is going to pull through." "The bad news
    is that he's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life".....! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really wish you'd send some of the rain our way in Michigan. Dry as a bone. It's slim pickings in the donkey pasture.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.