Pages

▼

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Back, by the skin of my teeth!

Whew! If it's not one thing broken around here, it's another! Cannot send pictures from my iPhone to our computer. Have been messaging them to Poppy and he then emails them to my gmail address and I download to the computer. Well now Poppy can no longer send them...something went terribly wrong???

So! I am now messaging pictures to Andee in West Virginia and she is mailing them back to my gmail address and I download them to the computer. Sounds like some of us don't know what we're doing. :)

Anyhow, the weather has cooled off a bit here and we are actually getting a little rain, as I sit here. 

I should be sewing bonnets and aprons for the upcoming Christmas Craft Bazaar but both my sewing machines are in need of repair! Like I said, If it ain't one thing it's another! :)

My teeny tiny greenhouse and playhouse have been a mess all summer...

With the record-breaking heat and dry weather this summer well, it was just no fun being there. Now that it has cooled off, I've cleared a spot behind the playhouse for stuff...



Hopefully, these plants will survive the winter back here, especially so after the leaves fall and cover them. Most the other potted shrubs, rose bushes, etc., are inside the garden fence...grouped together for the winter...leaving the playhouse cleaned out and open...


Now to do some fixing up and changing things around. No longer a very pretty site. I definitely want a new rocking chair for next summer! Any suggestions?

So now, I have a little persimmon story to tell... Poppy and I love persimmon pudding but there are no persimmon trees close by or at least that's what we thought...

Walking down the path one morning I found a pretty orange persimmon in the middle of the path. No kidding! Poppy said, when I opened my hand to show him the persimmon. We walked back down the path and sure enough there was a tall skinny persimmon tree leaning out over the path. Several cars and trucks travel our path daily, so we have had to watch closely and check often for a fallen persimmon.


Finding only 2 or 3 at a time has taken patience to prepare and freeze 2 cups of pulp. This is 1 cup frozen and a few more left on the counter to ripen. Finally, after weeks of this, enough to make a pudding...


and hot from the oven...

and it turned out good! Do any of you like persimmon pudding? I was really surprised to read that persimmon pudding originated in the Midwestern United States particularly Southern Indiana. I always thought it originated up around Seagrove North Carolina, some of mama's people. :) 

Well, I guess that's about it for now except a little photo shoot with Smokey...

that serious look when it comes to his food

showing off those claws


and a perfect little angel

Thank you, friends, for visiting. Hope you'll come back!

Love, Henny

13 comments:

  1. Technology can be so very difficult!
    I've never even seen a persimmon.
    Smokey is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I remember picking up persimmons for my mother and her baking with them. And eating them when they were not quite ripe and have my tongue go numb! You brought back memories for me, thank you. I think your 2 areas look very clean and organized. Precious enjoys seeing Smokey. She's not eating as good as she should. Going on 15 and will have her annual by Nov. 1. We'll see what's going on. She had radioactive iodine this past Dec. 29 for thyroid issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Henny! Sorry about your phone. My phone has been giving me trouble too. It acts strange... going black on occasion, etc. It's an old one and I do need to get a new one pretty soon. Your persimmon pudding looks good. But I've never heard of it before and certainly have never eaten one. Love the pics of Smokey. He looks so much like our feral Shadow. How are the bunnies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Persimmon pudding is a new one on me, Henny Penny. Yes, it's been too hot here to do much, but we are finally cooling off. It's actually raining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smokey is adorable Henny Penny ๐Ÿ’™ The property that we live on used to be a persimmon orchard & when we came here there were about 8 trees still growing. Unfortunately over the years they have either fallen down or been taken down for one reason & another. I have never heard of persimmon pudding here but a friend used to gather bucketloads from me & make the most delicious persimmon chutney which was divine on cheese & crackers. Lovely to see your post today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles with technology and how sad it is when you're sewing machine isn't working properly.
    I have no idea about persimmons I have never tasted one or cooked with one. But I can just imagine that you're home smells wonderful while it's in the oven and that it tastes fantastic.
    Sweet post ๐Ÿฅฐ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not tasted persimmon anything...nor would i know the tree! Glad you got enough for your baking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the second blogger on my list to not be able to get picks from a phone to the computer. I don't have a cell phone, so I'm no help!

    The persimmon pudding looks great. I have a bag of frozen persimmons in the freezer, but I'm too lazy to process them. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! it's always the same, one thing can go wrong,
    wait awhile, and summat else comes along...! :(.
    My friend Richard came up yesterday, and sorted
    my PC out....Microsoft 365 had taken over my Outlook,
    no e~mails, nothing, had to abide by their requests, or
    nothing, l had got my Outlook back, God knows how,
    back on Windows 10...along the bar at the bottom,
    but Microsoft 365 remained along the top bar, unable
    to be deleted, or moved...Jeeeese! :(
    Richard sorted it, deleted Microsoft 365, and a few other
    things, all working nicely now...! :)

    And persimmon....? The persimmon fruit is most commonly
    called a persimmon or a Sharon fruit in the UK, and it is also
    referred to as Kaki....
    Sharon Fruit: A specific, firm-textured variety named after the
    Sharon Plain in Israel where it was grown...
    Kaki: Another common name borrowed from the Japanese
    name for the fruit (Diospyros kaki)....
    China produces 80% of the world's persimmons....

    Hey! Smokey...Whey~Hey How ya do'in bro...Look'in
    good...AND....Yes! A perfect little angel....Lucifer..? :O).

    And..Making a rocking chair....
    Making a rocking chair is considered one of the most
    difficult woodworking projects and is often seen as a
    bucket-list challenge even for experienced makers.....
    ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Melba! Your outdoor spaces look very welcoming. It has been a horribly hot and very LONG summer in NC :( I think this week it's finally starting to feel just a little cooler. I'm so happy for highs in the 70s, but I'll be thrilled with highs in the 60s, when they come! Your pudding looks delicious. I worked with persimmons only once, when a small bagful were given to me. I made a jam, but it had absolutely no taste. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Henny! Drat! Your sewing machine is broken? I hope it's fixed soon. We pray for a snowy winter because our summer has been so long and hot. Oh, I love that Smoky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Technology is getting difficult rather than make life easier. I like your cat.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We dipped down to 34 degrees last night. I will start to button up the garden in the next few weeks. I have some new ideas I am going to try to winter over plants. Fingers and toes crossed it will work.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for your comment.